Sucker branches on ash trees

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by hugger94, Jun 18, 2007.

1. hugger94

hugger94 LawnSite Member

I have a customer that has tried to prune back the suckers branches on his ash tree on his front lawn. They have come back quickly and he is asking me for help.

I am thinking that after pruning them back again, I should put something on the cuts to stop them from shooting out again. But since I am a newbie I guess I am asking for advice on what to put on the cuts to stop them from coming back at least this summer.

2. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

are the suckers coming from the groung or are they coming from a previous cut limb? it its from a previous cut limb it sounds to me like the initial cut was in the wrong location. he needs to cut closer to the shoulder of the branch, where the truck and branch meet. cutting out in no mans land creates sucker growth.

3. hugger94

hugger94 LawnSite Member

They are coming up through the mulch around the base of the tree. I didn't uncover the mulch to take a closer look, but will when I get back there.

Thanks for the response. Is there something that I can put on the cuts to keep it from growing back without hurting the tree?

Thanks, hugger94

4. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

no, the pruning paint ect actually hurts and henders the tree from healing. The best thing you can do is jusat make clean proper cuts and the tree will heal faster on its own vs pruning spray or pruning paint

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I have an apple tree that does the same thing. I prune the root that produced the sucker. Hasn't hurt anything that I've noticed. Ornamental cherries do that alot and there is no permanent solution that I am aware of.

6. SpartanBill

SpartanBill LawnSite Member

Suckers can also indicate stress, it's a defence mechinism.
    But what's this "Ash Tree" you speak of? Emerald Ash Bore got all of ours a few years ago.