Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mark_the_psycho, Oct 21, 2007.

1. mark_the_psycho

mark_the_psycho LawnSite Member

There is a tree at a house I am landscaping at and it several huge suckers growing that are taller and better looking than the actual tree itself. I was wondering if it is ok to cut down the tree and leave a sucker. Will this have any adverse effects?
  2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

What type of tree is it? Crape Myrtle? Wax Myrtle? Yaupon? Ligustrum?
  3. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

A pic would be most helpful , but generally a sucker is weaker than the main plant at the point where they emerge from the base . This means that the likelihood of splitting or falling over are greater as the sucker grows and gains height and weight. For example , crapes are bad about producing suckers - you can often just snatch them off because they are weakly attached at the base . This weakness does not ever totally go away . I would usually remove the suckers and the main plant will grow quickly since it will receive all the nutrients formerly shared with the suckers.
  4. gratis landscape

gratis landscape LawnSite Member

Keep in mind that many fruit trees are actually grafted on to a different root stock altogether. Many cherry varieties are affixed to apple stock. (Apple being a better "base" for the resultant cherry tree). You may find that the sucker is not true to the parent form. Also, everything that Focal said...they don't call them "suckers" for nothing.
  5. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

You more experienced guys can correct me if I am wrong but I believe it is also preferable to just pull them off (done easier when young) than to cut them off. Cutting tends to force more suckers than breaking them off if I remember correctly. Is that right?