Suckers

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Turf Z, May 24, 2012.

1. Turf Z

Turf Z LawnSite Member

What's good way to deal with suckers? Just started managing a new house for someone, and the beds are riddled with them. Do I just keep cutting them back?

[​IMG]

2. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya, just keep cutting them back. Lay landscape fabric and mulch down after you cut them off and see if that controls it a bit better.

What are they coming up from?

3. Get Some...

Get Some... LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

Brushcutter blade....

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

paint the stump with RoundUp straight out of the bottle...

5. VO Landscape Design

VO Landscape Design LawnSite Senior Member

Since the suckers are coming from the tree would that effect the tree by taking it into the tree's system?
    VO

6. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, that answers my question. I'll answer your latest question now....YES

7. Smallaxe

It should only kill part of the root that the suckers are coming off of... obviously you'll want to be more careful with suckers coming right off the trunk's base and very young trees, but essentially once you have suckers invading the landscape I don't believe you can hurt the tree with a touch of RU on the sucker stump... I've never seen a tree 'hurt' by doing that... not even shrubs...

8. Turf Z

Turf Z LawnSite Member

Yeah, the suckers are anywhere from 3-4ft from the trees, up from the roots. Can I really hit them with round-up/gly since they aren't coming out from the stump?

9. lazor-cut

lazor-cut LawnSite Senior Member
    from Wixom

I say use it VERY sparingly and you will be okay.... I think what you should do is spray a little then come back a few days later to asses the damage (Hopefully only to the suckers) and continue spraying if need be.

10. Smallaxe

Or,,, cut the root off and take it up with the sucker... You want to kill that root either way, without killing the original tree...