Sucking Air?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by cat2, Feb 22, 2008.

1. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

For some reason my bobcat seems to be getting air in the fuel lines. I can tell when it happens, because it will lose some power, but will run ok. I could run all day like this, it just doesn't have the the power it should. Any one else have a problem like this.

No bobcat ron i'm not going to trade it for a cat

2. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

Did you change the fuel filter first? It could be clogged or the seal could be bad and allowing air. I would try that first it is cheap and good to change anyways.

3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Fuel pick up line shot?

4. BIGBEN2004

Yea that is another question for ya, does it seem to do it more when the fuel level is full,or more toward empty?

5. cat2

from Mi

Not sure to tell you the truth. Today i had a 1/2 tank at the start of the day,at the end of the day i was a little above the red mark

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Is the motor turboed ?

If so your loosing boost. Any black smoke ?

Air in the system will make it stumble or stall a restricted fuel filter will decrease a little in power.

How is the air filter ?

Sources of air that can get into the fuel is a knicked fuel filter gasket a small crack in the fuel line or return line leaks.

If your getting air in the system the machine will be a SOB to start when its cold.

How many hours on the machine ?

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Start with a new filter first. If it still does it, check all your fuel delivery lines. If it's still going, the turbo is screwed up, but I doubt that's what it is.

8. BIGBEN2004

Do you smell diesel when it does it. If so then surely a fuel leak somewhere.

9. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

symptoms could be pickup line in tank or fuel filter or water

10. cat2

from Mi

yes it has a turbo, no black smoke. Starts good. 536 hours