Sucking oil, instead of draining it!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by OnMyOwn, Feb 15, 2006.

1. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

Tractor Supply - $35.00

I picked up an oil vac for my mowers this year. I usually change the oil in my garage and no matter how careful I am, I end up spilling it somewhere. I bought a unit to vacuum the oil from the dipstick spout. Do any of you have any experience with these things? My only concern is am I getting all of the impurities out of the engine oil by vacuuming it from the top, instead of draining it from the bottom? I'm really hoping this is not an issue since I change my oil every 25 hours.
  2. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

Im sure youre not getting all impurities but it sure is fast isnt it? Sometimes in season we do quick oil changes,blow the air filter,change the blades and its back on the trailer in no time when we are backed up just saves a little time.
  3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I have often thought of getting a vac but I have the same concerns about the impurities. But if you do it right after you are done for the day and all the impurities are floating. Would it be a problem?
  4. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

Where did you find it? How much? Never mind.
  5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Iv'e wondered about those things too... Draining the oil is the only way to drain out the heavy impurities that settle to the bottom. Of course if you always have the engine warm (as in just had it running for a bit) all the impurities should be suspended in the oil so sucking it out should get as much as draining. I worried too about getting all the oil out. It would be hard to know if the suck tube was in far enough or not.
  6. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

Never heard of such a thing. What would be the benificial to sucking rather than the ol'drain plug?:confused:
  7. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

Sounds like a great idea! Have a few friends that have Mercedes vehicles and their particular vehicle doesn't have an oil drain plug. I'm not sure if every Mercedes is set up like that, but their vehicles have to be vacuumed from the top. I'm sure if Mercedes does can't be too bad on the engine. I'll have to tell them about the vac you found. A few were wanting to do it themselves, but haven't got around to finding a vacuum. Thanks for the posts!
  8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

most dont have a drain plug, and that is the only way to change the oil. it probably does leave some gunk, but with those I/O motors its the only way... so it really should be ok shouldnt it????
  9. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

This is done on boat engines, too.
  10. JHugh

JHugh LawnSite Member

I use an oil vac on pushmowers, blowers, vacuums, etc...It is a whole lot easier than draining the oil. I think as long as you warm the engine up and get the oil at a good temp there is nothing to worry about. When you use it make sure you are getting the tube to the bottom of the oil pan. If it came with different tubes use the right one for the diameter of dipstick tube.