Sucks to be solo/irreplacable.....

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by PlatinumLandCon, Oct 2, 2007.

1. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm young and work solo 95% of the time. Unfortunately, I broke my left collar bone last night (I'm left handed) so I'm out of comission for 6-8 weeks. In Ontario, 6-8 weeks from now is on the brink of winter thus i'm done for the rest of this season.

Everyone that has a 3+ person company should have someone that can do most of what you can do in case something like this ever happens to you. I'll lose $4-5k because of this and I'm only in it part time.

Anyways.... sorry for the rant, I'm just kinda pissed off.

2. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Sorry to hear that man. Most collarbones dont take 6-8 weeks to heal but dont get anxious and hurt yourself anymore. I had the same problem 2 summers in a row when I broke 5 of my toes and then shattered my wrist the next year. Good luck with everything

3. capetan

capetan LawnSite Member

yeah that thought is always in the back of my head

4. PlatinumLandCon

That's what I thought but mine's broken slanted in 2 places, so.... yeah. Anyways, thanks guys for the support.

5. andrewcarrigan

andrewcarrigan LawnSite Member
    from alberta

if you pay me enough ill come down and do the work,my partner done a runner on me so im done for this season!! what part of ontario

6. PlatinumLandCon

I'm about 1hr N of Toronto (southern Ont). I don't have enough work to be full time, maybe 15hrs/week.

7. andrewcarrigan

andrewcarrigan LawnSite Member
    from alberta

if you had a few big jobs i would com down for the hell of it

8. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm also solo a majority of the time. I also ride motocross so sometimes I have to limit myself on how many risks I take because it would really be bad if a broke a bone although I know I would still be able to ride my mower no matter what happened and pay sometime to trim and do everything else for me. I broke my collarbone 2 years ago right after I broke it I had to ride my dirtbike all the way back to my house (before I started driving). It was so hard to turn the throttle ( I broke my right collarbone) after about a week I was back on a bike taking it real easy but I could still some what ride it in a seated positiong. If you have a ZTR you should be able to get away with using that and maybe pay someone to trim for you.

9. ExclusiveLawnCare

ExclusiveLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to hear that man, hope everything gets better with ya.

10. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

That sucks, how you do it? What was her name? haha

I was reminded of how something like this could effect my company recently. I flipped a 4wheeler sort of thing landing on top of me and completely my fault. To make it even better, an employee was riding shotgun. We both limped for a good week but better then a broken arm or worse neck.

Motocross sounds like a good time. I'm taking up road racing though, at least there's a roll cage.