1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

sudden loss of power on honda hrt 21"

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawncuttinfoo, Sep 15, 2006.

1. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had this mower for 4 years used on not more than 2-3 props each year and maintained little. just last week I noticed a dramatic loss of power, I changed the spark plug for the first time ever cleaned the air filter (done every other year) and changed the oil (done every other year) , but no help.

Any ideas?
  2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

fresh fuel? governor working freely? More info please.
  3. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

It _could_ be something besides fuel related, but I doubt it.
    It is highly likely your fuel shutoff is not operating properly.
    Take the carb off, paying strict attention to all spring hook points, linkages and delicate, easily bent parts, then remove fuel bowl.
    Slip pin out of float assembly to access needle valve and seat. Inspect closely using microscope if necessary, to see if rubber tip(?) of the needle is etched away or disfigured. Clean the seat, using a q-tip or similar, and check the float by shaking and see if it feels like it is full of fuel, in which case it will need to be replaced. The seat is delicate, do not clean using drill bits or wire of any kind.
    Inspect carb body once all fuel has evaporated away, and look for any brown residue. This will stop up tiny holes in carb throat. Clean holes with tiny wire, spray entire thing with carb/choke spray, blow out with 150lbs air pressure through a 1/16th inch orifice, and reassemble.
    Va wallah! Good as new!
  4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Was the spark plug black when you removed it ?
  5. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

Fresh fuel, don't know where the governer is on this machine or what it would look like if I saw it, the plug was white where the spark would be.

Carb rebuild kit do the same as what you stated? I rebuilt the carb on my srm-210 echo trimmer a month ago and that seemed easy enough, before that I didn't know what a carb was.
  6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well, Honda doesn't offer a rebuild kit for their carbs., You have to get what they call a packing kit(Gasket Kit) and a float needle valve separately then tear the carb. down and clean it out as Jim said.