1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sugar for Weeds on Lawns!!

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by michaelthomas1, Jan 28, 2011.

1. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

True, it is about sugar. I got off topic responding to the molasses post.
  2. But molasses is a good segue into a host of other interesting subjects! :drinkup:
  3. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson LawnSite Senior Member

Aye! Early Miller time out here today. Matt, did you say you had success with the sugar? Was it brown or white sugar? I'll try it this spring.
  4. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

And molasses is rich in iron.... :)
  5. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Hmm, sugar to kill weeds. Even if that were to work I wonder how cost-efficient one could make it. Of course you'd have to buy wholesale in some way.

Last year we introduced distiller's molasses into our lineup of offerings with resounding success. Tremendous color response particularly when applied in conjunction with a grain based meal or finished compost. Distiller's molasses appears to have the right micro package that is lacking in much of this area's high pH heavy clay soils.
  6. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

If your customer is pleased with your application of molasses, tell him/her you'll be back next time around to apply the rest of the mole! :laugh: