Sugestions Please !!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by bhforty3, Feb 7, 2008.

1. bhforty3

bhforty3 LawnSite Member

I have a lawn customer that was a slow payer over the past year. but I continued lawn care. I submitted my final bill in nov. and have still not recieved any $$. I have rebilled him five times since then adding 2% each time and have left two phone messages.I have gotten absolutlly no response @ all from him. I am thinking about fileing a lien @ the court house on his house. Anyone had any people like this and what did you do to get paid.

2. bhforty3

bhforty3 LawnSite Member

Fifteen views, *trucewhiteflag*but nobody has any comments.

3. Ferti-man

Ferti-man LawnSite Senior Member

Here is one. I would send notice of intent to put a mechanics lein on property if payment is not made by x time. Depending on $ amount, it may be faster to collect in small claims court. I hope you have a signed agreement with scope of work laid out. Though a mechanics lien works, it still could be years before this person has the insentive to pay. The good part, if you can wait that long) is that you do collect interest on this betwen the time the lien is placed and the collection of the dept. Give one final notice and then go for it! Good luck.

4. bhforty3

bhforty3 LawnSite Member

Thanks for your suggestion. The guy is into me for $400 not a big amount but big enough for a small business like mine. Plus it is for work already rendered to him. Ten mowings and some sprinkler work. By the way the ---hole that can't pay is a cpa. Go figure. I already sent notice to him that I intend to put a lien on his residence.:dizzy::hammerhead::confused:

5. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

try searching on here for www.olddebts.com

Then go to their site and use their 4 letter collection package.

6. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, I would do small claims court. There is a chance you may not win. Each state is a little different. Some say you must have a signed service contract. Another suggestion is if you know a lawyer or someone who works for a lawyer, you may be able to get them to type a letter for you on the lawyer's letterhead as a last effort to scare them into paying. Send it certified. If no response then I would take them to court.

7. bhforty3

bhforty3 LawnSite Member

Thanks lawnmaster5000 for the web site. I might give it a try.

8. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

Did you try knocking on his door. Thats always my 1st step.

9. mudwisr2

mudwisr2 LawnSite Senior Member

I would sit in the driveway in a lawnchair if necessary :weightlifter:, seriously. I don't like court stuff. That would be a LAST resort. Too much of a headache.

I am kind of dealing with that right now but it is not a lot of $$ so I am not being an @$$ yet. I did have one customer this past summer who stopped paying after June. He is notorious for "not staying on top of paying" (been a customer for four years) but always pays....eventually. I started feeling like he was dodging me and I almost got pissed. I finally caught him at home one day. He brought me a check for more than he owed me along with an apology saying "I am so sorry, I've been in rehab for over 3 months." Glad I didn't show my ugly side. Anyone else and I would have discontinued service a long time ago.

10. mudwisr2

mudwisr2 LawnSite Senior Member

I would sit in the driveway in a lawnchair if necessary :weightlifter:, seriously. I don't like court stuff. That would be a LAST resort. Too much of a headache.

I am kind of dealing with that right now but it is not a lot of $$ so I am not being an @$$ yet. I did have one customer this past summer who stopped paying after June. He is notorious for "not staying on top of paying" (been a customer for four years) but always pays....eventually. I started feeling like he was dodging me and I almost got pissed. I finally caught him at home one day. He brought me a check for more than he owed me along with an apology saying "I am so sorry, I've been in rehab for over 3 months." Glad I didn't show my ugly side. Anyone else and I would have discontinued service a long time ago.