Suggest a Chainsaw

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by lawnlandscape, May 20, 2010.

1. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Time for a new chainsaw. Now, before you suggest one, please know that the biggest trees I remove are about 18". I only deal with the small stuff, everything else is referred to someone else.

Also know I hate Redmax and I'm looking to spend under $250.

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

stihl ms 192t best 300 bucks you will ever spend, for 250 you can't buy squat unless is a poulan from HD....

Ok I know you can buy stihl for under 250, but a chain saw is not something you want to skimp on...
    Last edited: May 20, 2010
  3. castlerockmo

castlerockmo LawnSite Senior Member

Sthl or husqvarna is what I would get.

sthl has the most torque while husqvarna is the fastest cutting saw.

I have two small Husqvarnas, I dont cut alot just here and there when a client needs small stuff cut and they both do real well.
  4. MarcSmith

i have 2 of the 192's and 2 of the larger MS260's at home I love my echo top handle...but the stihls take the cake...

FATGUY LawnSite Member

a good chainsaw for $250 is not really possible if you want to buy brand new. If someone wants a one saw plan, I'd consider a 60cc saw. Some may think that's over kill but you won;t be using it all day and you'll be glad you have the power when you need it. The Husqvarna 359 is probably the best value out there in 60cc saws. The Stihl 362 is probably the best 60cc saw out there. However you're now looking at twice the amount you want to spend. If you do your own maintenance on your equipment then I'd suggest looking on Craigslist/Ebay for a used Stihl MS361. If you rely on your OPE dealer for servicing your equipment, then you're better off taking his suggestion on which saw to buy from him. If he's treated you right on other equipment, he'll treat you right on this.
  6. lawnlandscape

from Midwest

Called a dealer about the Stihl 192.

He said it would be $360 for that one, but he does not recommend that one either because the repairs are expensive on it, because you have to take it all apart.

He suggested I go with the MS 170. Its $180, so half the price, and has the same exact power he said. The only major difference he said is that its 1 lb heavier.

I have no idea how something half the price can just have some extra weights put in it.. lol.. but thats what he said.
  7. MarcSmith

the 192 is a compact top handle arborist saw... and I' ve never had to have the case open yet...3+ years

its is smaller lighter has more oil capacity and bigger chain capacity...but same engine size

if you go sthil you won't be uspet...
  8. lawnlandscape

from Midwest

I'm 100% sure im going stihl on my new chainsaw. I have only had stihl blowers in the past, but some of them have been in service for 4+ years with not a single problem. Always easy to start and work perfectly. I can get the 192 top handle for $310, but if I was to get this one I would get the back handle too, but then it costs $360.

I did notice the difference in the oil capacity between the 170 and the 192. It is annoying having to fill the oil after using it for a few min, but for the price difference, I am strongly leaning towards the 170, unless someone can change my mind why the other one would be worth double the cost.

Question regarding the top handle.... How would that even be comfortable to use?
  9. borwicks

borwicks LawnSite Senior Member

192t sucks, had 2, first one didnt make it 5 min. before i took it back. bought a china made redmax 3501t, did muffler mod, outruns the 192 all day long. Ive dropped this from 50+ foot and didnt break it.

Why do you need a top handle saw. ARe you in trees doing this type of work?
  10. lawnlandscape

from Midwest

I don't think I need a top handle saw... I was asking why anyone would buy a top handle over one with a rear handle too.

I hate redmax... I have had VERY bad luck with them.