1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Suggest An Edger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DAZ982500, Jul 3, 2005.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 LawnSite Member

I Would Like To Purchase An Edger That Will Be Used Mainly For Edging Driveway, Walkways Maybe Aliitle Around Gardens.please Recommend The Ones You Have Used Prices Thanks. Dave
  2. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

3. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the prompt reply.I am not able to retrieve this site through the link you provided or through search.Can you provide me with some more information regarding this edger or another way to access through internet.I am looking into STHIL ECHO.Thanks Dave.
  4. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I personally like the Stihl Straight stick edgers.
    They have the extra support wheel and plenty of power.
    Around 400 bucks.
  5. GLC51

GLC51 LawnSite Member

A stick edger gives a nice sharp edge. I started with a power head and an edger attachment used that for several years. I picked up a dedicated edger PE3100 ( more power) at a good price. The Echo PAS260 has good power. The advantage of the power head is you can add hedge trimmer, sweeper, trimmer etc as needed. I have these attachments I really use the hedge trimmer attachment a lot, works great.
  6. ken0564

ken0564 LawnSite Member

same here...we run stihl fc85, had for three years, no problems and does excellent job. same power head as wackers so keeping parts (plugs,filters) is minimal.
  7. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl FC85. Best edge in our town. :cool:
  8. Wil22

Wil22 LawnSite Member

I bought the McLane Edger and used it a few times, then took it back and got a refund. After trying the stihl 110 edger that's the one for me. Leaves a perfect edge.

I did a search on here and read many post about the best edger. Now I understand why a lot of guy's here like the stick edgers.

I didn't like having to take out this machine each time I wanted to edge. Then trying to get use to it. I could only do a edge walking backwards.

The Stihl 110 is the way to go. I can edge a lot faster with this unit. Its worth the 400.00.
  9. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with a Shindaiwa stick edger if I were you. I have used a Stihl stick edger a few times, but ended up getting a Shindaiwa LE261. A stick edger is a very basic machine so the edge looks basically the same on both. It comes down to controls and small details. The Shindaiwa has 33% more fuel capacity and a throttle lock. Everything is easy to adjust (height, blade removal). It also has nice casing under the fuel tank, so nothing gets scraped or damaged when you set it down unlike a Stihl's edger. If the casing ever gets damaged it is very inexpensive and simple to replace. Shindaiwa has a great reputation and puts more into their products to satisfy lawn care professionals. Get the Shindaiwa!
  10. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have a Stihl fs85, it came as a trimmer and I put the edger attacthment on it and really like it, you can change from and edger to a cutting or hedge trimmer if you buy the attachments