Suggestion On Mower For Newbie

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by tjramsey2005, Mar 2, 2013.

1. tjramsey2005

tjramsey2005 LawnSite Member

I am new to the business. First season here, don't claim to know much.

I have about 10 accounts so far. These are very small yards. In-town homes, again pretty small.

I know this is not a lot of money but I am looking to spend under $1,000 on a used mower.

I am looking for suggestions of what I should get. Again I know its not a lot but I am just starting out, and my yards are very small. I just need something that will make a nice professional cut.

2. ddixon7

ddixon7 LawnSite Senior Member

Small yards? $1k budget? Look for a used 36" belt drive mower.

Or, maybe a 30" Toro Timemaster. You could probably get one of those brand new for under $1k.

3. brc1989

brc1989 LawnSite Member

You could get a very durable honda HRC 216 mower for under $1000 used, I think new they are close to that or more. The down side is that is a 21" mower so obviously not too productive. You could possibly find a 36" Exmark or Scag hydro driven walk behind for 1000.

4. crazyflyboy30

crazyflyboy30 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

To start with are you go to be full time ? Or is this a part time to start out with.?
    And what do you have now ?
    And what looking for ?

5. tjramsey2005

tjramsey2005 LawnSite Member

Reply to: To start with are you go to be full time ? Or is this a part time to start out with.?
    And what do you have now ?
    And what looking for ?

I am mowing 10 lawns and I am looking for something that will do a professional cut - basically the best I can get for my small budget.

I do not have a mower yet.

6. T Scapes

T Scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

i financed my first mower saved me some initial cash and its paid for within a year if you look this route go to your local dealers and see if they can work you a deal on a 36in hydro walk behind and get a bagger for it. I was at deere last week and bought a 36in floating deck with the ztr style controls and a bagger 0% for 36 months

7. rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

because you mentioned the small lawns, id start with a honda HRC216. new they are 1250. Its a hair over your budget, but for that price you have a new mower and not have to worry about how the previous owner cared for their equipment. Or you can easily find a good used one for around 550-750 bucks.

Good luck.

8. KnK

KnK LawnSite Member

my first thoughts as well