1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

suggestion on ZTR mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by markindetroit, Jun 10, 2004.

1. markindetroit

markindetroit LawnSite Member
    from detroit

I have been researching ZTR mowers(commercial models only) for my home use. I own 6.25 acres, mostly level, some rolling meadows, some rough areas.
    I have looked at Exmark, Toro along with several other brands. The new Toro come with a 7 gauge deck all around, the Exmark has a 10/7 gauge deck. Both obviously are similar.
    Before I spend the money on one of these, I want to make sure that parts and such are available. I was told that the Toro is easist to obtain parts for through many different dealers, where as the Exmark, and several other brands need to obtain parts only throught those select dealers. Any truth to this?
    Also, so far, the Toro spindle and such seem the easiest to disassemble and repair.
    So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

the 52" lazer z hp would be your best bet. with the 23hp motors, you can cover a lot of ground fast. with the mulch kit it looks bagged after you cut it. as far as the spindles go, you won't need to disassemble them as they are sealed.
  3. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

the new '04 Toros with turbo force decks are vertually indestructable and min. maintenance. Worth a look, my Z588E I bought in Jan is going great, one huge season down here and runs and cuts as smooth as!
  4. JHE

JHE LawnSite Member

Look at the hustler line of mowers - they are having a good sale now and they are a high quality machine. With that much grass to mow I would go with at least a 60" deck. The only benefit to the smaller deck is getting through tight spots but I get this strange feeling that tight spots (through trees, around the pool, etc.) are not an issue for you. Demo each mower you are interested in before you purchase. Also, consider strongly dealer service - do they give a loaner when your machine is in the shop, how far behind are they on repairs, how do they do stocking parts, etc.) Did I say demo each mower before you purchase!
  5. Top Notch

Top Notch LawnSite Member

Good dealer support? Go Kubota. There is a Kubota dealer on pretty much every corner here. More than probably Toro, Exmark, and Scag combined.
  6. Sir mowsalot

Sir mowsalot LawnSite Senior Member

Thats the best advice to go by
  7. markindetroit

markindetroit LawnSite Member
    from detroit

All good advice. Thanks. Since I have never bought or investigated a piece of equipment like these, others insite is very helpful. I really just want to buy a reliable and serviceable mower as I don't want to have to pony up the money for another one in a few years. Hence asking peoples input here.
    I am going to check out the Hustler ( I had never heard of them before someone posting here ). Since I'm not in the landscape business, I wouldn't have had a clue of some of the other brands to look at.
    As for size, I just bought a shed that has a 62" opening so I need to keep that dimension in mind. Right now I don't live on the property and there is no house yet, but I think a 60" deck would be too wide for my shed and therefore not a feasible option.
  8. JHE

JHE LawnSite Member

Not quite sure that I would let the size of my shed opening dictate the machinery I bought. I would rip the door out and make a larger opening but that is up to you. The Hustler brochure I have indicates that the 60" deck unit has an overall width of 62" so it looks like it will not fit into the shed. If you are going with something besides Hustler look at the overall width - it may work in a 60" deck?
  9. Sooners

Sooners LawnSite Member

I have a 60" Exmark Lazer Z and love it. For $1,000 more I'd go 60 over 52. Toro bought out Exmark. That's why so similar. The last I saw the Toro had a lighter deck. Maybe they wised up. Exmark is probably the largest commercial mower co. there is. The Kubota deck looks just like the Exmark. Regardless of the brand, get a heavy deck. My Exmark dealer is 120 miles away, but I can have parts the next day by UPS. You'll probably love any major brand. Just make sure you can get good service.
  10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Most any commerical brand mower will last a long time on your one lot so the best one to get is the one that feels good to you. The dealer is very important to a guy using it 6 days a week but I don't think downtime will be a problem for you and my guess is that with as little time that you will be using it you should not have many breakdowns. So DEMO and buy what you like the best