Suggestion

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by KenH, Feb 12, 2003.

1. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Is it possible to have threads which I have read already be highlight in a different color.?? I frequent some other non landscape related BB's which are the same format as Lawnsite. All the threads which I have looked at in these BB's turn a different color. Makes it alot easier to find threads I posted in or am interested in following.

Just a thought for improvement.

2. KenH

from CT

Hello.....McFly?????

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Yeah I understand what you are saying, but would it really be beneficial? Maybe to someone that just reads a few select threads, but probably not for someone that reads most of the threads.

So say you read a thread, it has say two responses. Since you read it, it turns to a different color say red. You read all the threads you want for the day, and they all turn to red.
    You come back the next day to read some more, and all of those threads you read, now have 7 to 10 more responses. You still have to go back and search for those threads you want to read.
    I guess it would work if you only read a couple of threads, then when they turn to a different color, they wouldn't be hard to find. But if you read a whole bunch of threads, then having the thread change to a different color might not be too much help.

One thing I guess you could do is to:
    Subscribe to any threads that you are interested in. That way you are notified by e-mail when someone responds to a
    thread you are interested in.

I'm not against having this feature added because I believe it may help some of the members. Just throwing it out there that it might not help everyone.

4. KenH

from CT

Thanks for the response. I think you will find alot of members dont read every thread, or probably even close to it.(How many "21 inch mower" threads can you read) I know when I visit the board, I spend alot of time looking for threads which I have previously read, ones which I were interestd in: if I clicked on them once, more than likely I would be interested in following them further. I think the subscribe feature is too much of a hassle, filling your email box with "announcements" every couple of minutes.

Even if you have a lot of threads which you read, then turn red, its still alot easier tracking them.

The only reason I am suggesting this is because the other boards I visit have the feature turned on, and when I come here, I miss it.

Is it something which can be turned on and off??? If so, it might be worthwhile to try it to get some feedback. I can guarantee it will be positive.

Thanks for listening, and keep up the good work,

Ken

5. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually Lawnsite does this already....(sort of)

When you first go to a thread there is an icon like this...
    [​IMG]

This shows you there are posts to that thread you haven't read...

After reading the thread (or actually just haven click the thread open) the icon will change to this...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] means <b>new posts</b>

[​IMG] means <b>No new posts</b>

6. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

There are a lot of possibilities and I'm running every single one of them past Pierre and the people he works with. We want to make sure we can do everything possible to make the site more user friendly and easier to naviagte. I will copy this link for this thread and see what Pierre has to say.