suggestiona on how to keep track of accounts?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by hustler60, Dec 28, 2006.

1. hustler60

hustler60 LawnSite Member

I am looking for a new way to keep track of my accounts. Any suggestions will help. Thanks.

2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Welcome to lawnsite. You need to ask more specific questions if you want good advice. Do you need accounting help to keep track of billing and collections or routing help? I'm not sure I follow what you are looking for.

I have files in the office that have on paper all pertinent info for my clients. I also have the same info on the computer. I use quick books for my accounting. I have had over 300 accounts and kept it all straight on a handwritten schedule. All though others on site will insist you needed software to do it efficiently, but thats bull IMHO

3. hustler60

hustler60 LawnSite Member

I am mainly looking for billing and collection help.i am currently doing it by hand and using quick books for accounting.
    I am looking for a way to keep track of who pays and doesnt right when i cut the lawn

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Quickbooks should be tracking all of this for you. As longas the operation (or code) is entered, it will automatically go into AR, and track when it is to be billed - therefore what is overdue.

5. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I use a pen, paper and an abacus.

6. Sportsturf

Sportsturf LawnSite Member

I just bought a new set of 5x8 index cards and a card file to house my Fert clients.

Mowing clients get a sheet in a binder.

Im with you AZ.

Im gonna use QB for accounting this year. Up till now I've used Dome registers and dont it old school by hand.

7. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Using Qbk's, in the toolbar goto Reports-Customers and Receivables-Open Invoices. Buy a laptop.

8. stumpslawncare

stumpslawncare LawnSite Member

I use adkad's Groundskeeper Pro, it will let you go in and see who has not paid based on your stipulations. (ie. 10 days, 30 days, 2 months, ) you pick the time table. Easy to use program and fairly inexpensive compared to some of the other software.

9. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

Do ya really? I don't have any really fancy software yet. I just use Microsoft Office. I have an Excel spreedsheet for each month and keep track of client's name/address, Date the work was done on, time on job, hours, materials, job description, job type, amount owed, amount payed, materials, and then how much goes into my profit, helpers profit and overhead. I also make invoices, letters and flyers use Word and Excel. I use Serif software too for flyers and stuff. I plan on switching to Quickbooks soon.

10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

My advice to those intending to "go to QuickBooks," get started with the setup NOW. From my experience, I spent far more time in the setup than I expected. I worked in January to make the setup, established psuedo companies, and tried to run all the expected situations. It helped flush out most of the surprises, but I still had a few when the season began.

Don't wait until the season begins, work has you very busy, and expect to "get started" overnight. I doubt that will happen, and you may be frustrated with QB. Work now at the setup and gain as much familiarity when you have time.