Suggestions for 1st Retaining Wall...???

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by 2006Silverado, Sep 3, 2007.

1. 2006Silverado

2006Silverado LawnSite Member
    from GA

Looking for some advice on my first retaining wall. Before I get jumped all over...The customer is aware of my experience level, and I am going through an SRW course from NMCA and possibly a course from a manufacturer...So I should be in a good position by the time I start the work.

What I'm looking for is any advice, guidance, help, etc. I would like to at least be able to start giving the customer so different ideas of what cost might be, different designs, etc.

Customer wants a retaining wall at the bottom to tie into the existing wood wall. If you can see that corner in the upper left where the driveway pad ends, he wants it to curve up to that point. Between that and the house, a brick paver walkway leading down to the yard.
    He mentioned possibly doing 2 walls, one at the bottom and the other about midway, kinda topping off at the driveway. Customer said he can get backfill to fill in once walls are in place. Also, the tie in point at the top of the wood wall, is about 3-3 1/2 ft.

Any opinions? Ideas? Suggestions? I am waiting until I go through all the training and know I'm ready to try take this on, but I would love in the meantime to at least get some costs together, get at least an idea how much material we're looking at, and give the customer some ideas on costs.

Would 2 walls be overkill? Just one wall then slope down and plant? Maybe even work in a waterfall/pond at the bottom??? Just looking for any suggestions/advice...

Thanks

100_3904.jpg

100_3904.jpg

2. 2006Silverado

from GA

Customer also wants another wall here, along the house where the weeds and sat dish are:

100_3905.jpg

100_3905.jpg

3. 2006Silverado

from GA

some other views:

100_3906.jpg

100_3909.jpg

100_3906.jpg

100_3909.jpg

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I think a 3-4 step terrace would look good there.

5. steve5966

steve5966 LawnSite Member

All your ideas are doable except for tieing the srw to the ties. I would tearout the last section of ties and curve the srw back into the hill, then you can build the ties back to the srw. Keep in mind the setback rule on tiered srw. Twice the distance back of the height of the lower wall or it is considered one wall. Just looking at the pics it looks 5' or more.

6. 2006Silverado

from GA

What do you mean tearout the ties and build them back???

Topping off from the bottom to the driveway it's about 7 feet. The top of the ties is about 3 1/2'.

7. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

why not continue with the ties? It might look goofy mixing retaining walls

8. 2006Silverado

from GA

I'm starting to think my only option may be to just get rid of the ties???

9. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Do not build this wall. This is not a first wall. This wall will have a vehicular surcharge and the risk is to high for a first wall.

Seriously, do not build this wall. NCMA will not teach you enough to be able to concour this wall.

No offence to you. But get more experienced first.

10. iowa

iowa LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW IA

^^^ What he said. You will save yourself much time and money.