1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for 1st ride on mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Added Touch, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Added Touch

Added Touch LawnSite Member

Hi all, I have a limited budget of about $2000, and need to get a reliable ride on lawn mower that will at least get me a season or 2. I have looked at Home Depot, and they have non commercial Toro and John Deere products for about that price. I also have a line on a 38" Toro Timecutter for about $3000. Any thoughts from those of you who have already gone through that starting up phase would be much appreciated.

Thanks

TK

2. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

start with a Commercial walk-behind...

3. Added Touch

Thanks, I have a 48" Bob cat walk behind, but it is far too large for most back yards. I was eyeing a 30 something inch Toro walk behind I saw, are they good?

4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Toro makes good walkbehinds, yes.

You aren't going to get a decent Z for 2K.

5. Lohse's Lawn Service

Lohse's Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from US

My opinion is even if you do buy a non-commercial mower from Home Depot, you will only be making a lateral move. I purchased a Cub Cadet rzt 50" 22hp last year and I already sold it with only 80 hours on it. It just won't stand up when compared to an Exmark or other commercial mower. Ended up buying a new Exmark Lazer Z 60" 25 hp a few weeks ago. After I got going with this whole business (a few years ago), I bought a Toro Proline 32" walk-behind, and 32" fits through most standard-size gates. You can always look in the local ads and buy a used walk-behind. That's what I did when I started. I'd start with a 32" walk-behind, then expand as your business expands. Good luck to you.

6. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Yup, I am tuffing it out with a used Walk Behind. A Toro 44 for $1000. Ive got more work than I can handle already. I wouldnt waste money on anything that isnt commercial. They just wont last and you will be without a mower when it goes up in smoke.

7. Added Touch

Hey all thanks for the advice ... just picked up a used Toro Proline 36" with floating deck and cut my own lawn in like 10 minutes (once I figured out how to drive the thing!) Also got a second unit that runs but needs a new gear box to use as parts total $750 cdn. It starts work on Monday.

8. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

Well a little late since you already bought a mower but will add this anyway. You could look at a used commercial mower if you want a rider with less than 1000hrs and plan on trading it off in 1-2yrs.