Suggestions for a back-up mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by skmodmsl, Feb 2, 2004.

1. skmodmsl

skmodmsl LawnSite Member

I currently have one 48" Snapper walkbehind mower as my main machine. I have a 22" mower for trimming and emergencies if the big mower goes down. I've been thinking that a 36" walkbehind would make both a good back-up machine and allow me to get through gated areas. It sure would beat having to use the 22" in an emergency. I'm pretty sure that I will purchase a new 36" machine.

What are your reccomendations on the new machines out there? I prefer belt drive and a non-electric blade engagement. Local dealers in my area sell Scag, Exmark, Ferris, Toro, and Gravely.

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

eXmark 36" metro I have has been nothing but a money maker.

3. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

We use Scag, (5) 48" & (5) 36" walkbehinds. Great back up mowers. Don't forget "work smarter not harder"

4. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

My main machine this year is going to be my 36" metro. I am going to use my 30" Dixon for a backup. I have a lot of gated yards so its nice to have two capable machines.

5. matth

matth LawnSite Member

id say go with a scag 36

6. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Toro, Exmark, or Scag. They are all good mowers, it just depends on what you like.

7. Go with the mower that will last the longest and take an unbelievable amount of abuse: Scag. I plan on keeping
    my Scag even if I dont stay in business so my kids can
    use it for their business....... :D

8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'd go with a toro fixed deck 36" t bar for about $2500 plus tax. Or maybe a 36" Gravely pro steer fixed, since it has a better height adjustment system. I personally would pass on pistol/ecs type "squeeze to slow" steering on a belt drive.

The Toro uses the identical deck as an Exmark metro, and also shares its manual blade engagement, but with the advantage of t bar steering.