Suggestions for a beginner...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by HandyHomeMedic, Jul 13, 2008.

1. HandyHomeMedic

HandyHomeMedic LawnSite Member

I just passed my Core, 3A & 3B here in NJ. I'd like to begin offering fert & squirt to my clients. Can you offer examples of what programs you offer (i.e. schedules, types of treatment, common chemicals or fertilizers you carry)? Also, what equipment do you begin with?

Thanks!

Steve

2. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

Congrats on passing the test. I would go to your local lesco and see if they can set you up. You can start w/ a good commercial spreader and a backpack sprayer for small yards. I think you might have missed the boat for this year on gaining accounts. Read all the threads on here to gain some insight. Good luck

3. HandyHomeMedic

Yeah, I'm aware of the missed boat. I tried to get in there earlier but juggling two f/t jobs and the business interfered. I've been like a savant reading everything possible on these threads. I really admire so many people here (so much to learn).

Thank you for the well wishes. I have one client now that is unhappy with one of the big commercial services (too impersonal and unresponsive). So, I was looking to at least get that started.

Thanks again!

4. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Steve, congrats on passing the test, and you made the first big step in apps.... understanding just how much there is to learn. I'm in my first year, and I have learned an awful lot.... but I'm not even half way to where I need or want to be in terms of ID'ing problems, then knowing which controls work best. Be prepared to spend a lot of money on pesticides (at least I have) up front as you learn which ones work best for you.

I would send a letter to all of your clients. Explain that you are now state certified and trained to apply control materials... avoid using the word "pesticide". Let them know that you can now be a sole source for all their property management needs... weed and grub control, etc, ect.

Tell them that it's important that as you are on the property every week, you can identify problems early on (and scouting will become a very profitable endevour eventually) so you will be able to more effectively manage the property in a more cost effective way vs. having multiple contractors. (all due apologies to our fert and squirt bretheren)

Lesco will help you get a program designed, but they want to sell you stuff.... a bit of a conflict there. They will be helpful, and not unethical, but, it's best to have several suppliers and several opinions as you formulate your own programs. Your equipment purchases will be driven by these early decisions, so move slowly before pulling any triggers.

This being my first year, I can tell you already that my program for next year will be different.... it's also a learn as you go thing. And of course, there is some very good advice available here from expereinced pros.... but there is no substitute for experience first hand.

Don't know if this post is helpful, but I hope so. Best of luck!

5. Hughfinfan

Hughfinfan LawnSite Member

congrats steve, lesco will help out they did with me. at first they seemed like they were cold towards me but i think they were feeling me out to see if i were a serious customer. i called all the lesco delears in my area, NJ<DEL<PA<for advice. im in my second year i started out with a 6 step. this made it easier for me and my customers. remember people are looking fo customer service. good luck

6. HandyHomeMedic

Thank you. I use a local Lesco and they've been great so far. I'm looking forward to offering a more complete line of services.