Suggestions for a tree

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Bull, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I have a customer who wants a row of trees installed to create a barrier between her house and a house located behind her. The area is heavily wooded but the existing tree canopies are fairly high, I would say thirty to forty feet. The property is a large area so space is not a real issue. However this area does stay shaded other than a little broken sunlight and of course throughout winter. What would be a good choice of tree or possibly even a shrub that would work and of course it needs to provide screening year round. I am thinking that I need to at least get about fifteen to twenty feet of height for them to serve the purpose. We are in zone seven and this area is a transition from the foothills to the Blue Ridge mountains. Thanks for any help.

2. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

One suggestion would be eleagnus , a shrub that will get as big as you let them and do fairly well in filtered sunlight , even if the amount varies along the row . Grows fast and is evergreen and forms an impenetrable barrier. The trees normally used , like cypress , would be shaky in that application - even if they made it , they would probably grow at different rates due to varying cultural conditions like sunlight . Just a suggestion - lots of ways to go here .

3. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

nellie r stevens or equiv