1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for cleaning sprayers after CT

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Wisentaner, May 3, 2009.

1. Wisentaner

Wisentaner LawnSite Member

Just purchased my first skid sprayer and was looking for suggestions on giving it a good cleaning after spraying CT
  2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

The thing you are trying to avoid is a build up of bio-film. Someone with more experience than me will chime in. Hear is what I have experienced, "weekdays" at the end of the day with emprty unit, put several gallons of clean water in the sprayer and spray the exterior and interior with it. If you see a buiild up mix up a batch of hydrogen peroxide, purchase ssodium percarbonate and mix it up yourself, you'll go broke with the 3% mix you can buy in the store. You can also use peroxyactic acid, it is used in the food industry, acetic acid is an excellent bactericide
    Spray the inside with the mixture

caution: H2O2 is an oxidizer and is not kind to eyes and mucus membranes
  3. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been meaning to ask also. Would a bleach mix work or is that to much?
  4. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Just don't leave the tea sitting in it, when your done rinse it out with water, Dr I. said to blast it with the hose w your thumb over the end, for your brewer, just after brewing and the sprayer, when your done for the day, like bill said if you notice a build up get out the heavier stuff. Then you can wash your truck(s) too, with the wash water.
  5. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

hi I am billy mays to tell you about Oxy clean...........
  6. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Oxi-Clean = sodium percarbonate same same, Oxi-clean has some stuff in it that smells good
  7. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Never let any CT sit in the tank. If the tank is empty start cleaning immediately. If not empty but applications are done, empty and clean immediately.

Cleaning is imperative and the worst part of using CT. I pressure wash interior and flush the system with clean water. During the high season when I'm applying tea daily, I'll spend an hour or so once a week inside my 500 gal tank and hand scrub it using oxyclean. Yea, tons of fun.

I have been able to reduce the clean up when I use ICT products without my own brewed tea.

My experience is that cleaning the sprayer is harder than cleaning the brewer. With my new cone bottom brewer, I just have to rinse it out & start the next brew.
  8. hunter

hunter LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I been using bleach and never any build up. Just make sure you rinse well after scrubbing with the bleach.
  9. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

oxy clean also has sodium carbonate +detergents, works well, is cheap and available every where.

i like to use 35% peroxide, can be expensive but if you look hard you can find good deals, buy in bulk, rinse your sprayer tank first with water hose with drain open, perhapps use a long handled scrub brush at the same time if needed, fill a few g then run sprayer for a second to get some gunk out of lines and empty, then fill sprayer with 2-4g water then add a oz or so of the full strength peroxide, take ur sprayer nozzle and then spray/ recirculate it back to your tank rinsing it and spraying the whole inside of tank, especially the inside top, drain, refill with some more water to rinse peroxide out, done... yes it's a PITA to do but is very necessary, bio film's build quickly and invisibly,

i personally would stay away from using the bleach