SUGGESTIONS FOR COMMUNICATING ON THE NET

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bill phagan, Jul 3, 2000.

1. bill phagan

bill phagan Guest

Please reference &quot;sprinkler&quot; forum started by Gator.......some ideas for posting:<p>1. Think before you post....POSITIVE comments are helpful. Negative ones are not.Remember, if you're slinging mud, you're losing ground!<p>2. Post as if you were talking to the person face to face. Aside from the fact you may be 5' and he/she 6'4&quot;, your comment may be offensive. You don't know this person, their background, etc.<p>3. When you post, assume your mother, child or grandparents would be reading it. Would they be proud of your comments? Are you proud of your comments? Four letter words may be out of place on a professional forum. Good and help are also four letter words.<p>4. Keep things in perspective. Don't assume the &quot;poster&quot; is being negative or disrepectful. Don't over react by taking things out of context.<p>5. Stick to the discussion. Enuff said?<p>6. If you are having a bad day, don't take it out on the group. Pet your dog before you start.<p>Have a nice day!

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Great post Bill. I think this should be in spot so all can read it at all times. Maybe it can be set up so this post pops up every time someone adds to a discussion or starts a new one. <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

3. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Great idea (I know that's a four letter word), guys. Maybe a shorter version could be used. It might make people stop and think before over-reacting. <p>----------<br>Lanelle<br>

4. Hello Everybody:<p>Bill Phagan wrote & I Quote:<p>1. Think before you post....POSITIVE comments are helpful. Negative ones are not.Remember, if you're slinging mud, you're losing ground!<p>5. Stick to the discussion. Enuff said?<p>6. If you are having a bad day, don't take it out on the group. Pet your dog before you start.<p>Well Bill is right & most of us want it that way too!<p>If you can't function in a #1 manner at all times when posting, then Please leave out the #2.<p>Because all it does is ruin it for everybody else. Sometimes I think these guys think that only a handful of people see this & they don't relize how stupid it makes them look.<p>I really think they don't understand that when they belittle someone that they really belittle themselves.<p>What if everytime they go cut a Doctors or Lawyers lawn, that they are laughed at because they cut grass? <p>You know what I think, I think they think that & thats why they act the way they do?<p>I think we should start a support group for these guys, they need help too!<p>Maybe we could talk to Chuck & get a seperate Forum for the people that think they are Upper Class Commercial Lawn Care Pro's. Then they could just slug it out at the forum, because they couldn't do it in person.<p><p><p><p><br><p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/

5. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 LawnSite Member
    from WEST MI

Great post!<p>And while were at it,I would add...<p>-let them ask any question they want, any time without being educated about search procedures. You can search through the archives all day, and thats great, but many of those responses are from the regulars back three months ago or more. We have probably doubled in size since then, and if the questions are not re asked we will never hear the responses, or potential responses, of hundreds of new people.<p>Keep asking, and keep posting, and keep learning!!<p>This site is awesome!<p>----------<br>Tom<br>

6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

So what you are saying Mr. Phagan is make the forum a bland and boring as you can. Great Idea!!! The forum is growing at break neck speed. Why try to fix something that ain't broke? We have been through this discussion before. People don't go to car races to see them go around and around.... They go to see them wreck.

7. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I agree with you 150% bill!!!!You soon realize who really is a professonal on this fourm after reading their posts.You can make a million a year in this business but that still does not mean you are a professonal!This is a place to improve our business skills and learn from others in the business.I would love to see no off topic post and trash talk and insults!Let's all just try to get along and be professonals!Thanks for the post bill!<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

8. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

1 million a year.... perfessional or not.... your doing something right!

9. Hello Again:<p>I come here to help others & to learn also?<p>I go to races to see them win, I've never wanted to see anybody wreck.<p>LOL, I see enough people Crash & Burn here.<p><p><p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/

10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Well just compare the activity of retros site to lawnsite. Why you think they are trying to spice up Monday night football? It lost ratings to the wwf. Because it is boring! This site has to be intertaining as well as informative to make it. It has to flow on it own. We don't need a dictator on here directing the post. We have enough dictators in real life. In hear it doesn't matter whether you are 6-4 or what color you are etc. Thats the way it is suppose to be. I tell you most people who have a life are not going to check back here often just so they may learn one thing out of 50 boring new post. It's a fact that people go to races to party and see accidents and to see the final 1o laps.