1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for Dusty Blowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by All_Toro_4ME, Nov 21, 2007.

1. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been doing some fall cleanups lately and have noticed afterwards my backpack blower is really dusty. What do you guys use to clean them up with and get the dust off? Thx.
  2. a water hose.
  3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

another backpack blower
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I try hard not to blow upwind, not to work on super windy days and just as hard again not to get into them kinds of yards.
    I realize it's not always possible and it's been pretty dry this year, it's not entirely unavoidable but practice helps, it gets better in time.
  5. Grouch

Grouch LawnSite Member

Whenever possible, use air, rather than water, to clean any equipment. If a bath is absolutely necessary, try to blow the water off afterward and not simply allow it to evaporate. Water just does nasty things in places possibly expensive to deal with - spindle bearings being a prime example.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Another blower, or the air compressor when you get back to the shop.
  7. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

Just use another blower at the last jobsite of the day. Blow the whole truck and trailer off, don't forget yourself! It can be a month or 2 months when we actually get a chance to get a good clean on our equipment. Lil bit of wd-40 on the carbs to get the oil and such off:let it soak in then blow it off with compressed air... Becareful not to spray to much or the machine might blow up next time you use it... As for the plastic parts some water and a quick wipe with a rag usually does the trick...
  8. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Hey All-Toro, Dont you love doing leaves in dust-bowl Oklahoma?!? I love seeing the pics where guys have a huge pile of leaves sitting at the curb. If we did that here the leaves would be in the next county in no time!
  9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Do you ever change or clean the air filter element? The exterior dust is a visual problem, the other stuff is gonna cause a functional one sooner or later.
    I usually just hang it on the trailer and let the wind blow off what is loose. At seasons end they get a bath (within reason) and fogging.
  10. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Man isn't that the truth lawnprosteveo. Some of the pics on here are just massive piles of leaves. Pretty neat site, but yea it would be in the next county for sure. LOL. Anyhow, yea doing leaves in dust-bowl OKlahoma $ucks bigtime. Hard to breath and very dirty, even with a face/dust mask. Its much worse then grass. By far....