Suggestions for Installing/Removing Material on This Job???

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by LB1234, Mar 14, 2007.

1. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Get a referral from paver work we did last spring and lady explains to me the job is small so she is not even sure if I'm willing to tackle it. I said it shouldn't be a problem let me come take a look. I went to meet with her today. Yes, its definately a small job... (1) One wall ~30lf in length and 14" in exposed height about 2' in total height and (2) ~150sqft of pavers set behind the wall.

However, I can't figure out how to bring material (QP/sand/excavated soil) in and out of the jobsite. Its located in the back of her condo (an end unit) which basically doesn't have any access to the rear without going under some evergreen trees and traversing a steep hillside. There is a street located in the back but that is ~20-30' away and ~15-20' above the street.

I'm attempting to attach pictures...please bare with me.

I'd apprecaite any insight any of you can provide me. BTW, I haven't figured out the amount of material yet...but my intial reaction is everything needs to be carting up with 5 gallon pales or in commerical 30gallon cans by two guys.

thx again:waving:

2. LB1234

here they are (i hope:cry: )

SideHill.jpg

OtherSideHill.jpg

FrontHill.jpg

PaverArea.jpg

3. Duramax8832

Duramax8832 LawnSite Member

I did a similar job, the hill wasnt that big though..I backed the dump up too the hill, dropped the tailgate and used some planks.. Worked ok with a wheel barrow..It's gonna be a ball buster anyway you do it

4. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

a CTL will climb that hill, but maybe a ding might be more in the budget for the size of the job. i have moved a lot of material with a dingo on tight jobs. we had a 500sf patio that only had a 36" opening to get though that we did with the dingo loading the skid steer bucket at the opening.

5. LB1234

Backing up to the hill is not an option as it'll block traffic AND their are a few driveways on the opposite side of the street.

As for the dingo...we own a 425...it just seems way to steep for that hill. It is actually steeper than the pictures appear. I'd be concenred about damaging the engine with lack of oil going up and down that hill.

I have thought about renting one of those things you see at construction sites with forks for getting stuff to the second/third story windows...I'm just not sure about being able to park it in the street overnight...not to mention dumping the materials in the street.

6. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Hate to say it, but it might be cheaper (and a LOT easier) in the long run to just form and pour concrete instead of pavers and a SRW...

At most, two pours and its done. Most likely though it could be done in one pour. It'd take a concrete pump to do it, but you'd have the nieghbors a LOT less PO'd at blocking traffic for a day, versus a week or so...

Is there any way to bring material *through* the house? That's a last-resort method, but it works out to be cheaper and faster (i.e.- easier), she might be willing to put up with the mess.

A Skytrak (what you are talking about to lift stuff high) would work, but you'd still be blocking traffic quite a bit. But you'd need a good sized one to get the reach you'd need..

Thinking out loud here- what about building some sort of platform on the hill that would be roughly level with the top of the hill and extend out to the base of the hill where you could lift stuff up to it and then run it over to the work area with wheelbarrows? It'd probably violate a bunch of ordinances and codes and get city officials unhappy with you, but it might be an option...

I don't see any good/decent way to do it. Can you get permission from the nieghbors to simply come around the building??

7. dchauling

dchauling LawnSite Member

You have a pain is your a$$ there. Can she afford the extra cost of transporting the materials? Renting a conveyor willl get material up, or a backhoe/excavator to use the bucket to transport the materials. Can also chain your compactor to it. Good luck on that job. I am interested to know if you get the contract and how you make out. Like Felix said concrete with a pumper is probably cheaper and a heck of a lot easier.

8. LB1234

She is the end unit...there is access to her lot from the front of the house to the back but it is almost as treacherous and 3-4 times the distance. We'd have to deal with evergreen branches, tripping over roots, and again the steep grade.

As for going through the house...admitingly the thought went through my mind. But after glancing about between the hardwood floors and passing a baby grand piano it quickly diminished. Single woman with an IMMACULATE home.

As for the concrete...I already told her that concrete without a doubt would be cheaper but a little more expensive than normal due to the pump truck requirement. IMHO, I think it would be the better deal their...I even suggested that she stamp it and then paint the existing patios to match the stamped...it would actually look quite nice..again my opinion.

Even after that suggestion she was leaning towards pavers. Although, I believe once I hand her an estimate it'll sway her opinion ten-fold.

As for thinking outside the box...I kinda like the idea...although I can't seem to fathom how I would get it to work...you know I cut the wood twice and its still too short...I hate when that happens!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thought just popped into my head...what if I filled a 60 gallon carryall and raised lowered it with a ballcart with three people..one on each handle and another below....hmnnn perhaps a winch at the top???

maybe I need to sleep on that.

thanks for the feedback gentleman...keep it coming:drinkup:

9. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

If you could figure out a way to mount a winch at the top of the hill, it might be an option... I've winched stuff in and out of a ravine before for a job, so it's not something entirely new. :laugh: It would be a slower process, but the winch will never get tired (if you get a big enough one it probably won't even overheat!) or slip and fall, or...

As for my platform idea, I don't think it would take too much. From what I can tell from your pics, it looks like two sheets of plywood would be adequate as far as length. Around (4) 4x4 posts (two at each end, two in the middle) of the appropriate hieght, and (6) 2x6-10's should get 90% of the framing done. Then it would be a matter of bracing everything to keep it from swaying too badly... I would think a platform could be built for a couple hundred dollars worth of materials, which might be cheaper than a winch in the short-term.

If you don't have a way to power a winch at the top but you do at the bottom (your truck!), as long as you have an adequate anchor point at the top you can run the cable up the hill to a snatch block and then back down to whatever you use to carry the load back up the hill...

10. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

why not hire a couple of high school kids for min wage to carry everything up the hill for you and ad the expense to the customers bill, no crazy rigging or expensive equipment, just good old fashioned manual labor.