Suggestions for learning how to rehab lawns?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by vbmike, Mar 23, 2008.

1. vbmike

vbmike LawnSite Member

Where should I look to get a firm footing in the process or science of renovating a lawn? Is there a good book or webpage on this?

2. Lawncop26

Lawncop26 LawnSite Member

Not to be a smartguy or anything, but you have already found the best site for information pertaining to anything green, just research threads for renovating lawns, there are many. Good luck.

3. vbmike

vbmike LawnSite Member

Thank you for the reply! I have been reading here for two months now and have been overwhelmed by the information on this subject, among others. The problem I run into with doing my research this way is placing all the information in the right order. When someone makes an informative post, I can't absorb what goes through their head, to arrive at their decision, but never makes it to the keyboard.

So, I am wondering what guys were doing for info before this tool came around. Nevertheless, I will continue to read this site; it's a gold-mine!

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Depending on the individual circumstances of any given lawn - there are different philosophies as to how one would proceed. I personally work with what I got and overseed with compost to fill everything in nice and thick, as much as possible.

If the ground is just too much of a mess then I till and start over. I agree with Lawncop26 that getting ideas here is as good as anything in a textbook, and usually better.

5. Lawncop26

Trial and error, your going to read the lawn wrong once or twice, but you'll learn. Maybe practice on your own lawn or those of friends and family where your not "under the gun" so to say. After reading the many posts on this site, you'll be amazed at what you already know.

6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

The first step in a lawn renovation should be a soil test from several different areas of the lawn. The next step or done at the initial walk through would be site determination or looking for things like drainage problems, weeds, type of soil, trees and so on. You need to have a good idea of the problem areas in the yard to they can be resolved prior to seeding. The next step after all issues have been resolved would be to core aerate the entire lawn then ad any nutrients the soil test has determined are needed and apply a good starter fertilizer and overseed the lawn with the best seed for that particular lawn. I always roll the entire lawn after seeding to ensure good seed to soil contact then tell the customer to make sure to water often until the seed sprouts.

7. vbmike

vbmike LawnSite Member

How does one address a lawn infested with different types of weeds? I understand different types require different methods of attack.

8. Lawncop26

If the lawn is "infested" with weeds, prob. better off killing the entire lawn and start new. Either way, you should identify the type of weed and google it for information how to manage it, what type of soil it prefers and so on.

9. vbmike

vbmike LawnSite Member

Is there a piece of literature for weed identification?

10. Lawncop26

Weedalert.com is a good site, broken down by zones.