Suggestions for new riding mower/snowblower

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by XH2Oskier, Jan 5, 2004.

1. XH2Oskier

XH2Oskier LawnSite Member

I am looking at replacing both my riding mower and walk behind snowblower with a riding mower that can also be used to clear snow (blade or blow). Does anyone have any suggestions on brands or specific models? Thanks!

2. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

Not knowing very much about your needs, I'll throw out a unit that you can use to begin your research. The John Deere GT245. You can check it out on Deere's web site, www.deere.com. It has a good Kawasaki v-twin engine, and a 54" deck.

However, if the area that you're planning to remove snow from is sloped, you need to know that 2wd tractors and snow don't go together very well on any kind of a slope ... even with weights and chains. You may have to consider a 4wd tractor (and at that price range, you may want to consider diesel) ... or, just get another walk-behind snow blower.

Dave

3. XH2Oskier

Walk behinds are really out of the question. I'm over seven feet tall and that's just too much bending over to work the controls. I'll check out the John Deere. Hopefully, 275 lbs of ballast would make a difference for a 2WD :)

4. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

Jim, though I'm sure you already know this, another option, if you have a 4x4 pickup, or can buy one, is to put a snow blade on that. Not cheap, but an option.

Maybe someone can offer a more expert opinion, but I would say that if any part of your slope is more than 5 or 6 degrees, a 2wd tractor will not have the traction needed for snow removal.

Dave

5. XH2Oskier

I don't think I'm looking at a very steep grade up my driveway. A regular plow would make quick work of the driveway area, but my house sits on three lots and has a sidewalk running the length of the property, so I'd really need something smaller.

6. mattydjakd

mattydjakd LawnSite Member

I agree with the post above, about looking at John Deere. In my experience, they are very reliable, and have excellent resale. I would agree with the model liste above. Since you don't have much slope, some weights and chains for the tractor should do the trick. We have a blade on our deere and it does just fine on our 900' driveway. John deere has tons of models that would be able to accomodate you, check their website like BigDave said....... www.deere.com.