Suggestions for Seasonal Colors

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by HoseJockey, Dec 8, 2006.

1. HoseJockey

HoseJockey LawnSite Member
    from Memphis

Hoping for suggestions on how to get our seasonal colors looking better.
    Did a soil test and the ph is 6.5-7.0 range. I know pansies need around 5.5-5.8 to do well (from what I read). Planning to apply sulfur to lower the ph but not sure the rate or how long will it take to lower the ph a point. I think it is to late for this year to do much but Im looking down the road for next year.
    Also heard to put a pinch of osmocoat? to each hole before planting? I assume the fert will last the growing season for pansies?
    Also what about tilling in some organic material each time we change seasons. Will it have different effects on the summer vs. the winter flowers?

Thanks for any suggestions or opinions.
  2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Try some "superbloom" I use that generic term for anything that is water soluble has a P # higher then 30 and I like one with lots of micro nutrients.
    We apply every other week until we get our beds full of bloom then back off to once a month.

The product we use also have some Ph lowering qualities when you mix it up and test the water it is at 5 or so. I thought it would be the exact opposite because of the synthetics being bound in salt, at least that is what I was always told. I was experimenting with some citric acid to put in the mix and when we did the testing thats what we found.

Our typical bed prep for seasonal flowers is turn the beds, apply peat and compost mix into top 6". Grade out, sprinkle the top with osmicote and alphapha pellets. Plant flowers, apply Subdue systemic fungicide and Banrot fungicide water in, next watering with the superbloom mix. After the flowers are full and beautiful I superbloom monthly and alternate with a biological product I like for ongoing maintenance.

Every 2-3 years I pull the top 6"-8" of soil and refresh with new. You would think with all the amending I do it would not be necessary but it really makes a difference.

If you are planting bulbs mix in some bone meal as well.

When this works for you PM me for where to mail the check, this is a money making recipe.
  3. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

By "Our Seasonal Color" do you mean your own home or the surroundiing areas that you might be servicing? In either case, as AzGardner said; is good advise. However Pansies like cooler temps, so don't put them in so early and before bedding them, sprinkle a goodly amount of Triple-Phosphate early in the season. For winter bloomers, give the soil a good 3-4 month start before planting, then again at planting. This will keep the soil ahead of the next season. All bloomers love it and will have more vibrant color. Try mixing the winter pansies with some kale and cabbage. Nothing like Tennessee. Roy