Suggestions for vertical privacy foliage in Northeast Florida

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by shawnleary, Sep 3, 2012.

1. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

Yaupon holly work in Florida?
    or Wax Myrtle--grows really fast-no leaf drop and cheap--

i think I got the right photo--

2012 Sept 2 026.jpg

2. Yup, both of those work in fl...I believe all of Florida...
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. shawnleary

shawnleary LawnSite Member

I like this idea. They do grow well down here. Thanks

4. shawnleary

This was actually my thought as well. The height with continuous density is my number one factor. Appreciate it

5. shawnleary

Need privacy immediately so not sure how large of a hedge/shrub I can buy or how long I want to wait. Thanks

6. shawnleary

Ten miles inland off 9a/Gate Pkwy

7. shawnleary

I did see Wax Myrtle as an option. I need to research height and growth rate. thanks.

8. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I like cypress for a living wall but I do not know what works well in your area.

Bamboo should be in containers or have something blocking them from spreading.

9. Hortus

Hortus LawnSite Member

I may have missed it, but is OP removing the fence for proposed planting?

Another vote for less is more, as well as integrating architectural (trellis, arbor, ect.) for help in screening and interest. Grouping of plant material logistically on property for screening but adds an open feeling for the owner, as compared to a long length of hedge.

Leyland Cypress offers many of the aspects the OP is looking for, specifically along that back fence. There's newer hybrid varieties that have several color variations (silvers, lime greens for example) and offer better pest resistance and growth habits in contrast to the original species, but also is fast growing. Arizona Cypress is another option to inter-plant.

Utilizing the neighbors existing landscapes will help with the budget, which I interpret the homeowner recognizes in the post. Keep in mind that fast growing means less stability.

Yaupon holly varieties are also good options, but much slower growth.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  10. bugsNbows

bugsNbows LawnSite Member

Nope. Clumping varieties of bamboo do not create over spreading issues. Running varieties can and do however.