Suggestions metro 26-vs-proline 32" or ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Az Gardener, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Need some help from the lawn jockeys out there. I need another rotary. A good 21 will cost me 1200 my dealer has a Metro 26 that is 1800 but wont do a demo so I have no idea what to expect.

I have been searching past threads for info and hear the 32" pro line is popular. I would like to stay in the 2-K price range and 26-32" size range. I need to bag everything and have little in the way of humps so scalping is also not an issue.

My biggest yard is 21-K and we use reels on it so I don't need anything bigger. I have a 36" Ferris and we are happy with it but that thing is expensive. Need another bigger mower for new rig.

Any help/suggestions is appreciated thx.

2. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

The metro 26 is great at bagging but lacks a little in the mulching ability.THere price is high as my dealer has one on the floor at $1499

3. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I dont think it really makes sense to get a 26 inch mower. the point of a 21 is so you can get in smaller spots, with the 26, you loose that. and your only gaining like 5 inches of cut, so you might be able 2 cut something in 3 passes that will takes 5 with a reg 21. i have only heard bad about the 26. they lack power, the most important things. they are tryin to run a 26 inch blade with a engine that is being used to run a 21 inch blade, just dosent work. I would deff get the 32 proline, get a sulky, and bam, youve just increased your productivity by lots. also, look into the 36, ooo and make sure its a floating and hydro.

4. Az Gardener

What about a catcher for that Proline? I'm guessing if it is available it is a side catch? How much $$$ do they run?

5. subs1000w

subs1000w LawnSite Member

32 or 36 hands down

6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

the toro 32 can be used with a catcher but its so good at mulching -why bother . there is no need to bag clippings anymore. anyone who does is out of date or just plain stubborn and likes to waist time and work harder

7. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

32" exmark metro with a 15 horse kawasaki at around 2400 .
    the 26 to me at that price is a waste .
    ide rather spend a little more for the 32 which
    can fit thru most/all gates and also be used
    to do big jobs if needed . and this 32 exmark
    is a dream machine imo . the 15 horse kaw
    is ultra smooth starting / pulling and running .

8. Az Gardener

Clippings don't compost when it is 100+ and 7% humidity. There just is not enough humidity to compost clippings most of the summer around here. Not just my opinion university tested.

Also when you are cutting at 1"-2" tall there is no space to hide the clippings, they brown out and are very visible. They don't settle out and blend into the turf like they would with Fescue or KBG. My Bermuda lawns are very tight knit turf and the clippings just set on the top. If I could mow every other day like a golf course fairway, it might be a different story. At least the clippings would be small enough to be less noticeable.