Suggestions on a cotroller

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Bryn, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Bryn

Bryn LawnSite Member

I need your suggestions for a controller.

I need a four or more zone controller, which I can set to water a predetermined amount of time on each zone, 2,3,4,or five times a day, each day. This is to go with my portable irrigation system I'm assembling. It will stay in place for two weeks and then be moved.

Thanks for any suggestions

Bryn

2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Just about any brand will have the features you need.

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Go with either a Rainbird ESP modular controller, or a Hunter Pro-C. Both have all the capabilities you will need.

TClawn likes this.
  4. gcland

gcland LawnSite Member

Hunter will alow you to buy a four channel box for a good price. You can add cards to it to add zones. I have found out the hard way that I alwas needmore zones. It is also good if you need to make zones smaller to gain pressure.

5. h2o2gunr

h2o2gunr LawnSite Member

ah rainbirds new replacment for the e series has the modular abilty. i really like the controller because the e didnt say what you are changing on the display. the new one clearly says month date day. not a big deal for me. i work on lots of older folks who forget how to program the controller every year so that should help alot.

6. AnInsideExpert

AnInsideExpert LawnSite Member

I see you mentioned that the system must be portable. By this I assume battery operation would be a plus. Check out some of the battery operated controllers such as a Hunter SVC-400.

7. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Go with Hunter Pro-C and then get an ICR remote. You can hook it to the smart port and run the system from 2 miles away if you need to. Saves lots of steps when servicing.

8. Instant Rain

Instant Rain LawnSite Member

Nelson makes a battery controler you can put right on the valve in place of the solenoid. It has six start times. It is expensive at about $80 each but the advantage of that controller is in time saved running wire and taking wire up and cost of wire. In a permenant system this woulden't be a big deal. However a system in place for a few weeks will get expensive if you have to wire it in over and over. The controller is made for nelson valves but adapters can be found. The battery is good for five years.

9. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

yep, the rainbird ESP modular and hunter Pro C are both exellent choices.

10. activelandscaping

activelandscaping LawnSite Member

I couldn't give you an intelligent answer without more detail. Do you mean a 100 gal tank and a hill " portable ", or do you want to install a residential temp LV system for new plant material?

Regards,
    Active