Suggestions on a good walk-behind spreader wanted.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by proscapesvirginia, Dec 16, 2007.

1. proscapesvirginia

proscapesvirginia LawnSite Member

I need to replace my walk-behind spreader this spring and wanted to get some feedback on quality options other than Lesco. I actually got a new Agrifab commercial this year and it turned out to be the worst piece of equipment I've ever bought. Even the $25 Scotts residential I've had for years at the house has taken 10 times the abuse and runs like a top. I would not suggest the agrifab. They look commercial from a far but are far from good. I started having trouble with it from the first use and it went downhill from there. Let me know what you use and why you like them. Thanks.

2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I've got a Meyer.....I think its called 'Hot Shot'.....use it for ice melt and seed. Solid spreader, simple and......well its solid, well made. I bought it off Craigslist for $65 and I think they sell for around $200. Guy had a bunch where he bought out someone.....should have bought more then just one, oh well.

3. proscapesvirginia

Thanks for the input rockwater.

4. richard1103

richard1103 LawnSite Member

go with lesco you can get parts easy

5. proscapesvirginia

52 views and only 2 of you use broadcast spreaders? Nice.

6. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Their are only 3 spreaders to consider and in this order i put the Scotts/anderson last becouse the dam thing is stupid money

Lesco 80lb. 350.00 to 450.00
    Spyker 250.00 to 450.00
    Scotts/Anderson Very Expensive for a walk behind, totaly stupid money

7. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I use lesco becouse it is accurate and has a percision spread pattern, truely industrial quality, and is considered the industry standard, I have a lesco 80lb i can sell you in new condition.

8. proscapesvirginia

I imagine the shipping on these to VA is not cheap. I certainly want Lesco but my closest dealer is an hour away and I don't live in the middle of nowhere. I can't believe there isn't one closer. Are you a dealer yourself? Okay I'll bite. Is it brand new or lightly used? How much? And thanks for your feedback on previous posts.

-Alex

9. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

an hour isn't that bad a drive. my lesco dealer is 45 minutes away and i'm there a bunch. most all my suppliers are 45 minutes away.

10. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

permagreen! haha we use a lesco in addition to the permagreen, very good spreader.