Suggestions on a good walk-behind spreader wanted.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by proscapesvirginia, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

it is in newish condition working perfectly, If you are intrested I can take photos. shipping would be about 45.00 55.00 give or take. paid about 400 for it used mabey 15 times. if lesco is only an hour away you should just cruise over their. or make an offer
  2. richard1103

richard1103 LawnSite Member

in 20 years lessco has been the best ,spker was junk .lesco is s steel-poly
    with s steel axel i have 1 that has not been was wash in 5 years most of the others do not have s steel frame and axel
  3. jaybow

jaybow LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mi

I just bought a Shindaiwa RS76S stainless steel spreader.It seems durable and has grease fittings on axle.
  4. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

Which spreader to get? Well, that depends on what brand of fert your going to settle on for your applications.

If you were to look at the backside of the Fert bags, you will see recommended settings for given brands of spreaders. There is no industry standard on output/rate or area of spread among manufacturers.

How in the world otherwise would you know how much coverage or rate you're applying? Even if you were to match up the fert with the spreader, it's still recommended you calibrate your application rate which can vary by applicator walking speed etc.

So if you decide on Lesco, go with a Lesco spreader etc. Even if you don't actually calibrate it for yourself (with the use of trays) it's assumed your likely to be close. I suggest you do some study and get some formal training on this before you do a bad application and possibly be sued and/or fined for damages etc. FYI: In my area, you cannot apply insecticides or herbicides to any open lawn areas without full applicators license > >> "Read" weed and feeds...... Yes, Homeowners can BUT you may NOT to a homeowner's or any property- even without pay.
  5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

well you said input but no lesco. lesco is probably the best brand of spreader. The S-steel is great, can be used for Ice melt products as well, parts are easy t o come buy. if you should need them. Most lesco places if you need some will drop stuff in the mail for ya.
  6. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

heres a good one.

7. jaybow

jaybow LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mi

That looks like its constructed alot like the shindaiwa spreader I just bought. Maybe I will take some pics and post them.
  8. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

the anderson spreader is nice and dependable. Ithink it was under 300.00
  9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

the powdercoated steel frame is the only weakness of any spreader. SS is the way to go....
  10. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

I like both Lesco and Anderson, I believe the Anderson is cheaper tho, but both brands hold up well as far as I've seen.