1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Suggestions on fixture placment here please

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Pro-Scapes, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Need to light this french country home. He likes the way it looks uplit and about all I can think of doing is Kim mini vaults on the porch then running and securing the wires as close I can to the corners or he can have the brick guys come out and mortar them in. He is not willing to have the brick guys come back and make holes for me and have me bore into the holes. The porch is 5 ft in depth. I would of loved to prewire this for recessed lights in the brick.

Well lights are a possibility in the turf but I have never tried to graze from this far out. Glare is a concern as well.

Also attached is a picture of a sill plate or planter box type area I would like to place an uplight on without it being seen so need something rather flat like a deck light but to shine straight up.

2. Lightscapes

Lightscapes LawnSite Member

This is about as tough as they come. If the homeowner wants grazing uplights but won't allow recessed lights, you have no choice other than surface mounted lights, obviously. Well lights from the yard won't graze, they will spotlight, and the angle of the lights would almost certainly create glare when looking out from the inside.

I agree that the KIM minivault is the least obtrusive option. Any type of a bullet (even MR11 or MR8) will stand out more. It really is too bad that you cannot recess the light, that would have been ideal!

You could always conceal the fixture with an urn/vase/flower/etc. in front of it.
  3. SamIV

SamIV LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Billy,

I almost hate to suggest this, but moonlighting from those small eaves, and under the overhang by the door might be your best choice. I don't know what code is for low voltage cable inside a dwelling, have heard several takes on the subject. Some say all wires have to be in metal conduit, and others say none at all. I have converted some down lights with tiny electronic transformers mounted inside a large canopy several times before, but have not run low voltage wire through a dwelling. Maybe Paul can shed some light on this - no pun intended.

I actually tied in some line voltage lights with X10 that client had in place in the eaves on the second story, and it ended up working quite well. These were some PAR 20's I think.

Hope you are ready to work this weekend.

4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I think Chris is right. Regardless of lighting this house is begging for some accents/accessories. 2 ft urns with short conical topiary like rosemary or a juniper will fit with the style of home and be easy to care for.

Put them between every opening and possibly on the corners. Then hide your lights behind them. The brick is nice but there is a lot of it.
  5. Pro-Scapes

Thanks guys... I got a 3d image prepared by Kirk for him. He is either getting Kims surface mounted or he is getting small beds with bullets just off the porch. He wont let me runwires on the exterior of th home thus making some basics like highlighting the chimney near impossible without having beds to hide lights its just more so of a headache.

Hey Burt im ready to rock the Gulfport project out with you this weekend. Hopefully we can get ALL 6 or 7 transformers in this weekend and running. Just hope the electrician got it right!
  6. Pro-Scapes

i forgot to mention there is already reccessed lights under that overhang which look rather nice.
  7. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

I gotta ask.. why such a lack of landscaping for such a profound home? Makes it look shabby.. like he built it.. and ran out of money
  8. Pro-Scapes

i agree... this home could be a real stand out and something out of a magazine. He just doesnt want it. He does want the lighting system just needs to wait on funds again. House was 2 yrs in the building due to katrina.
  9. niteliters

niteliters LawnSite Senior Member

Hey billy, nice project.. Sounds like you've have made up your mind on what you're going to do. wish you well my friend
  10. Pro-Scapes

if you got some other input chris I would love to hear it. The homeowner has my proposal and wants us to do the project. Just waiting a tad for funds to come back but i really feel confident we will be doing this project soon.