Suggestions on mowers with big bagging systems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Liberty Lawncare, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Hi my business is growing fast and I need to add a mower to keep up.

So if anybody has likes and dislikes to share on mowers like ZTR , laser or turf tiger type mowers I would like to get some opinions. The deck of the mower has to be less than 60 inch.

I will also need a large capacity bagging system. A three bag looks good no dump systems. Alot of my accounts want the clippings hauled away.

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I got a new Ferris IS1000Z 52” 23hp Kawasaki with front suspension about 2 ½ weeks ago. I love it so far! I also have the triple bag fast vac on order but it is backordered. i can’t wait to get it (literally cannot wait- it’s causing me scheduling problems because I picked up a couple of accounts just because I was willing to bag as needed). It’s not the dealer’s fault. They are backordered at the factory and will ship it straight to me. I just wish they would commit to a day and tell me when it will get here. I am very pleased with the mower quality, comfort, convenience of use, features, and performance (handling, cut and stripe) I tried 3 different models of Dixie Choppers before this and an eXmark Lazer. I did like the Lazer but got the Ferris because of added features and the special financing deal available (0% finance charge, 0% interest for 36 months). I looked into the machine and found it to be as good or better than the Lazer and far better than the Dixie Choppers. The decks on the Dixie’s leave a lot to be desired and the machines do not have the best traction and they sit too high so you can’t go under low limbs. Also the dealers around here are not interested in service, just sales. Pretty lame. But, check into the Ferris. Mine was $7499 plus tax (not including the bagger) not the cheapest 52” but it is the nicest. You get adjustable front suspension (on 52” models. 60” models have 4-wheel independent suspension), heavy duty canister air filter, dual fuel gauges, cupholder, hourmeter, and ALL of the controls are very easy to get to and convenient location. Not under your legs, but on top of the gas tanks like the new Lazers. Large tires, good trim side on the 52”, good ride and great cut and striping, discharges nice, etc. really pleased with it. I hope I am this pleased with it for the rest of it’s life. I really hope I love the triple bag fast-vac too (for $1600, I better love it!). Can’t wait to get it and use it.
    www.ferrisindustries.com

Eric

3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I would say the grass hopper has the best. then ferris, then exmark, then kubota.

After market ones like the blue bird, tracvac, and pefco are pretty good to.

But stay awat from the toro baggers. I demo one. It would clog every other pass when doing leaves and tall grass. The fan blades are on top of the bagger. So it works like a vacuum, not a blower like the rest. So the pick up tube clogs.

If a 48" deck would be good for you. Then look at a walker. The godfather of bagging systems. I would love to have one. Just to cut my lawn.

4. Geoffrey

Geoffrey LawnSite Member

I'm new here, actually this is my first post. But how come Walkers never come up in these discussions? Are they no a good mower with a good bagging system?

5. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

they have a great bagging system but most of the rest of it lacks compared to most other products on the market today.

6. Geoffrey

Geoffrey LawnSite Member

Mike LT1Z28,
    Thanks, but how so? I look all around town and see them on trailers. I used to live in Memphis and there too Walkers everywhere. Only until this site have I thought they were not the best. I love reading about what everyone thinks about mowers.

7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Geoffrey, welcome to LawnSite!
    Here's my views on Walker mowers.
    Not everyone wants/needs to bag everything, and they don’t want to have to have two mower decks to change from discharging or mulching to bagging. And when they are not bagging they would like to go more than 5 mph or however fast those walkers go. A walker would be great if I had to bag everything, but I don’t! The majority of mine are side discharged, and I mow around 7-9 mph on them (depending on growth, grass type, thickness, roughness of lawn, etc). I refuse to change mower decks just so I can bag, when I can just add a bagger to the mower in a couple of minutes. I’d love to have a Walker, but it would get very limited use… just high spring lawns (providing there was room on the trailer for it in addition to the rest of the fleet) and cleanups/leaf removal service. Not enough to make it worth it to me when I can get a 10 bushel bagger on my regular mower.

8. mpblass

mpblass LawnSite Member

I have a Walker and it works great! Its the best that I have come across for bagging. I very rarely have problems with it clogging even in wet or tall grass that is mowed on an every week schedule. If I do have a problem with it clogging it is usually because there is a small stick stuck in the chute or blower obstructing the flow. They a definately not the fastest mower out there but the cut is awesome. The lack of speed is usually made up with by not having to dump the bagger as much. They do offer the discharge kit if you do not want to bag or like Franken Scag said you could get the side discharge deck.

9. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2002 turf tiger with the Scag three bag system. I've been very happy with it. I only bag 1 or 2 accounts a week now that grass has slowed down. Takes me about 5 minutes to install or remove the spindle powered blower unit. The only time it tends to clog up is with very tall wet grass but I guess that would be the case with any system. Going slower always helps. I'm into my 3rd season with it an not one ploblem yet.

10. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Like he said!

I went with a front-mount grasshopper. I wanted the ability to add attachments (such as my aera-vator I'm dying to try), plus I wanted a machine that would s/d, mulch, and collect with one deck. Also, walker ain't the machine for wide open areas. Too slow. Grasshopper is great for ballfields I mow. Great stripes. On the other side of the spectrum, the outfront deck is nice for cutting around fences, benches and other obstacles. The drawback is the long length on the trailer -- although the deck will flip up -- and manueverability in tight areas (careful not to bump the back).

I also used a 16hp Walker loaner that I used during a few spring clean-ups that had leftover wet leaves from fall. OH MY GOD did that thing clog a lot. I don't know if they've done this yet, but they need to think about relocating the muffler too. :blob2: :blob2: