Suggestions on my House/Landscaping...

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by DreAming in DigITal, Sep 5, 2005.

1. DreAming in DigITal

DreAming in DigITal LawnSite Member

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and wasn't sure where to post this question...so here it is:

I'm 24 and just bought my first house (Yay!) but it is very plain looking at the moment. At the beginning of the summer I planted a few trees (1 in front and 1 in the back) along with putting in a small pond and flowers...also a privacy fence. I used to work for a landscaping company (I mainly mowed and trimmed) and I have always loved doing this type of work so I want some new projects to make my house look better/add value/and keep me busy :). I was hoping the pros on this forum could maybe take a look at some of these pics and make some suggestions on things that they think would really look nice. I hate how plain my house looks!! I would really appreciate some suggestions...such as what you would do if it were yours! Tips on lighting,hardscaping,plants and trees, would be great too! Thanks alot!!

Front.jpg

Back.jpg

DeckView.jpg

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

OK here we go,I know you probably don't have and everflowing pot of money you can draw from ...But I would do a few more things to the house to help it fit into landscape you will be developing in the future.
    #1-I would build or have built a ...we call them "Portico's"
    here a front stoop cover or wooden structure over the frnt porch and front door area,to pull that front entry out more and I would plant large shade tree in the front Not dwarf weeping (thought the one you have is fine but not alone)

Then I would extend the back deck WAY out and across the whole length of the back of the home to hide all those utilities hanging off the home and put the house in a better scale with the back yard.....

THEN i would think large and big in the back as far as planting areas and beds and tree's anything else is going to be dwarfed by the size of the area and the fence .
    I will get killed for this but I would cut down on that lawn space to help keep the place in scale with the gardening and entertaining areas.
    I will play with your pics and see what I can come up with more.I don't have a landcapers program but others here do,so I will use my wits.instead..Sheshovel

3. DreAming in DigITal

Thanks so much for the response! Those are great ideas...I think the portico would look really nice so I'll have to look into that. The back deck is definately going to be extended also...The fence really took alot out of my wallet this year so I'm going to extend the deck in early spring. I was also thinking about putting an in-ground pool into my back yard at the same time as the deck (but that isn't certain). Should I look into putting anything along the fence?

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

It's very hard to give ideas without knowing your personal tasts,I suggest you look at alot of magazines and books to get an idea of what your lifestyles and landscape need to fit together for an enjoyable solution.And try not to do the things you can't change easily last.I usually get paid for this stuff so I did a quick idea for you but it's best if you look at alot of other peoples spaces and ideas to find a combo you can live with..If you have any installation questionds just ask as you go.Hope this opens up your eyes to what can be done with some imagination.

5. DreAming in DigITal

That looks great! Thanks so much for the advice and the effort! I really appreciate it!