Suggestions on sea of white clover?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Pennington Lawncare, Jun 20, 2009.

1. What is the easiest-fastest-most economical way of getting rid of a lawn full of white clover? I have one lawn in particular that has a beautiful and fast growing lawn but, recently the white clover has shot up every where. Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

2. djflats

djflats LawnSite Senior Member

I can't help you with this but I'll be watching the thread. I have the same problem with my property. It's being over run by clover.

3. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

4. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure about your state, but I applied some "Weed-Free Zone" on a couple of my customer's lawns earlier and the clover disappeared. Your local co-op should help you decide your best options.

5. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

First of all are you licensed to apply chemicals to a customer's yard ? Usually any product with 2,4-D will wipe out clover.

If you are doing it for yourself and cannot buy commercial products Walmart and Lowes sell Bayer for lawns in your area. Bayer is the brand name and it gets rid of clover and even dallis grass.

Nosmos

6. bighaydenslawn

bighaydenslawn LawnSite Senior Member

2,4-D won't kill the clover that well, just the other broadleaves.

Try Tri-Mec for clover.

7. GracesLandscaping

GracesLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

tri-mec will work... but if your not into spraying much go to lowes or something and buy some spectracide weed stop... it works good for me

8. TheMadOne

TheMadOne LawnSite Member

I have use a product from Tractor Supply Company on my own lawn for years. It is branded as "Tractor Supply Company" and I don't have a bag handy right now to look up the particulars on it. The TSC name designation for it is simply Weed n Feed 23-3-7, it has handled the dandelions, & clover very well in past applications as well a a myriad of other pest plant growths. Greens the lawn up nicely with in a week or 2 of application.

This year my wife will not allow me to use it this year though :nono: as we have managed to get some violet growth & she likes the pesky things, so my lawn looks like Krap this year! The TSC product is a consumer grade product, applied via broadcast spreader, don't know the regs in your area, but you'd be required to have a proper license here in IN to use it commercially I'm sure. I only mow commercially right now so my experience with this product is from my own personal use on my lawn over the last several years, but like I said it seems to handle the clover well enough for me..... when the boss allows me to use it!!

9. TheMadOne

TheMadOne LawnSite Member

10. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I used Ortho brand weed be gone. It knocked out the clover within a day. After I sprayed the lawn by the next morning the clover leafs were brown! Took care of the dandelions too. I still have a bunch of nimblewill.