suggestions on small skid

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by KTM, Apr 13, 2008.

1. KTM

KTM LawnSite Senior Member

Just sold my wheeled skid loader and will be looking for a new one. I have A TL140 so I think I want to go for a small wheel loader this time around. I will be most likely buying A Case or A New Holland, I never see the smaller NH around here, does any one own or has any one ran A L170? how about Case 420's and 430's? any one here any reliability issues with the newer CNH line? what brand motors are they using now? any other suggestions (beside Bobcat). Thanks in advance

2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

You might want to ask your Takeuchi dealer about when they are supposed to have the new Wheeled Tak skids in, I saw a press release in January about a Summer release of their new line up of rubber tired SSL's using their CTL frames.

3. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

I had the 665 and then a 170, they were nice little units. They are and likely still a little under powered but are overachieving machines if you finesess them. One of the things that annoyed me was the lack of a seat bar, I agree sometimes you need to buckle up but for 95% of the time a seat bar is fine. I think the 170 has a 2.0 NH motor. The 170 will lift alot more then they say it will. It also is very compact, ours had a 66" bucket and got in alot of places.

The S3 420 has 3.2 Case by Iveco motor with 69 horsepower. The 440 motor was a 4.5 by Iveco and was great, I wouldn't be scared of the 3.2. The 420 also has two speed witch is priceless and the cupholder. I think the 420 may be a little monster with all the power they have given it.

4. KTM

KTM LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks so far guys, I would love to see A TK wheel loader, TK is so secretive about anything, you can not even find out about the new CTL's or see any pictures. A TL120 size wheel loader would be great. I never really thought about the NH not having a bar I used to have A JD and hated the seet belt.
    So your saying the new 420 has more power? some say they were underpowered and to get the 430, but I would rather have the narrower 420.

5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Grab a demo 420 and tell us what you think.

6. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

I didn't like the seat belt on my Deere at first, but after a couple of days it wasn't a big deal and now I like it. It's also safer. I occasionally run one of my buddy's 2 420's. They're descent. Unless you're restricted to a small area and need a machine no bigger than that, I would opt for the 430. The 420 could use more umph, but they are probably as good as anything else similar in size. I don't care for how the smallish wheels tuck under the frame. The body in the rear quarters hangs too low and with the wheels tucked in it doesn't want to go through mud as easy, IMO. He's had terrible luck with one (heads and injectors under 200 hours). The 40XT's he traded in were less problamatic for him. My buddy's 420's are a couple of years old, so I'm not sure if what upgrades he may not have.

7. Danielslawnservice

Danielslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

try a gehl they make really good machines i operate 2 one 8 yrs old and a brand new one

8. Danielslawnservice

Danielslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

both work GREAT

9. G ZMAN

G ZMAN LawnSite Member

John Deere just introduced 2 new small frame skid steers. Really nice machines. The 313 is the new 1300lb Rated Capacity Machine and the 315 is the 1500lb.

www.skidsteer.com