suggestions to get this lawn back in shape

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by wildstarblazer, May 5, 2013.

1. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

This is centipede grass. Have not fertilized yet.

P5020053.jpg

P5020054.jpg

P5020055.jpg

P5020056.jpg

P5020057.jpg

2. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

Not familiar with that grass type as we don't have it by me...

But I would double or even triple aerate the lawn and overseed it 3x's what you would usually.

Or better yet, use a slit seeder.

3. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

You can't overseed centipede grass. Aerate, fertilize, and verticut (similar to a dethatcher). Keep it watered, cut often and short.

4. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

What happens when you overseed or slit seed centipede grass?

By the way, your signature quote is hilarious, awesome!

5. knox gsl

It doesn't seed well but grows/spreads from stolons. This is where grass grows horizontally (common in warm season grasses and bent grass). If you use a dethatcher or verticutter it will cut the stolons and promote more growth. BTW you can use a power seeder and just not put seed in it.

6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting to know about Southern Grasses... It also appears that these may be HOTSPOTS in the lawn that were brutally cut short during the drought... would it be logical for centipede to grow out a little bit during the 'heat of summer'???

7. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

No drought here. I took over the lawn last summer and never cut too low but theses areas always seemed bad. It was full of weeds but I killed most of them so some of those bare spots were where weeds and some Bahia grass were. I think the large tree roots have something to do with it being such thin turf.

The whole neighborhood seems to have bad soil. I would like to get a soil test but my county never responds to my calls.

8. avguy

avguy LawnSite Senior Member

James that is exactly what they do to the bermuda turf on the World's Fair site....

9. knox gsl

Remember centipede is a slow grower and that it will take time to respond. Also the dead areas look to be heavy in thatch which should be removed to help new roots to hold in soil and not dead grass. You can get soil analysis from JDL as well as the county extension. I know that my dad had been trying to get centipede in his lawn for a while now (not using sod). It will overtake Bahia, and Bermuda but is very slow.

10. wilsonsground

wilsonsground LawnSite Member

Slice seed it.