sulkies and divots: tearing up my lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by seymour_glass, Jun 23, 2004.

1. seymour_glass

seymour_glass LawnSite Member

Hey everybody.
    Ok, so i have a ferris 36" belt, my first real mower. I just got a fixed wheel sulky for it, and it's pretty awesome, because on those long stretches i can bust out at 5mph. And it's fun as hell too. But my problem is the turns: divots! As we all know, to avoid leaving divots, you can't flat out zero-turn by pivoting on one wheel, because that tears the grass up. Now everybody with a nice fancy hydro can just spin their wheels in the opposite direction to turn around, but us poor belt guys sometimes have to push and pull our mowers around a little bit. My problem is that it's kinda impossible to do that on a sulky, which is why i've not been using my new toy as much as i had hoped i would :( .
    Anyone else have this problem? I 'd like a quick fix. My idea is to maybe just put some bigger tires on. Do you think that might work? Or am i just stuck having to turn a little bit wider from now on and lose the zero turning capability?
    Thanks a bunch.
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Get a sulky thats not fixed
  3. seymour_glass

my little 12.5hp belt drive can't handle a caster wheel sulkly, or so i hear. those are really supposed to be for hydros anyway. thanks.
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I had a 13hp Kohler 32" belt that pulled me just fine on the sulky and I weight 235. Look into sulkies produced by Velke. You will not be disappointed
  5. HacMan91

HacMan91 LawnSite Member

Youre going to have to make at least 2 cuts around the perimeter. Then you can make your cuts. You cant make a true zero turn with a belt drive. I had the same problem with my metro. good luck
  6. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

I have a single wheeled velke. We would just go around the perimiter to mow where we turned. I dont use it though as I dont care for the wheele leaving lines down the middle of each pass. Im thinking about getting a a double wheeled sulky to alleviate this problem.
  7. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

If that Ferris is your first real mower, it sounds like you just might need some more practice. All I use right now is belt drive machines with fixed wheel jungle wheels. I am not having any problems. Make sure you slow down a bit going into turns. In wet conditions, at top speed, you might divot even with a Hydro.
  8. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

For sure.
  9. seymour_glass

tiedeman - Is that a caster-wheeled, fixed sulky, or a single wheeled velke you have?

Hacman - Yup, double perimiter cuts all the way! and usually without the sulky. takes a little extra time, but it looks better and saves on the trimming.

lawndog - Oh yeah, do I need more practice! Luckily my own lawn is nice and big for that.

thanks everybdy! i guess i'm just gonna have to do my turns a bit wider. I thought maybe bigger wheels or something might help, but i guess not.
  10. grassrootsinab

grassrootsinab LawnSite Member
    from up here

I have the single wheeled velke too and it pulls me just fine. Deere 38" gear drive and I'm 225#....I agree that the third tire track doesn't look as good but if the customers don't mind, it sure beats walking. I also do a 3-point turn.