1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

sulkies and turning (divets)..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gogetter, Mar 1, 2002.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I've never used a sulky. But I had a question about turning without leaving divets from mower.

To avoid divets from my w/b I use a kind of three point turn where about halfway through the turn, I pull back on the inside handle.

Is this going to work if I'm riding on a sulky? Am I making sense?
  2. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

yes it will, just be aware that too fast of a turn on a sulky and it can toss you off. Kid that worked with me did that. man you talk about funny. What you described is what i always do when i turn. never just stop one wheel and let the other go full force. it will tear up grass. Always keep both wheels spining or have one going backwards so the turn can still be sharp and not tear up ground. it also works best if the sulky's wheels swivel instead of the sulky tracking like a trailer (i.e. jungle wheels).

3. Yup i do the same some times when it is wet.

BTW you will be saying "why didn't I get one sooner"
  4. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I use the three-point turn without the sulke . With it i just make a bit wider turn and barely have to slow down, just lean into the turn some.
  5. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I assume from the responses that all of the above are using hydros. To do the 3 pt. turn w/ a belt drive and be able to pull macine back, you'd have to step off the platform - right??
    Personally I hate the extra lines and wheel marks caused by velkies/proslides - I'll stick w/ Standers.