Sulkies compatible with hydro turn walk behinds.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Pastures, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Is there an aftermarket company the makes a Sulky that is compatible with the Exmark Turf Tracer?

You cannot easily go into reverse OR zero turn with the "Stand On" sulky Exmark sells without risking hurting yourself. While the Stand On is a very nice product for belt drive walk behinds it's not the right equipment for a high volume hydro drive Turf Tracer.

Is there something else that is built for the Turf Tracer?

Looking for the ability to go in and out of reverse and make tight zero turns without getting off the sulky and hanging it up on the frame.

2. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

Im in the same situation as you. I know the caster wheel type sulky is supposed to be the best for hydro walkbehinds. You can get a Bull Rider from Trimmer Trap, Lesco makes one, as well as Havener. The Havener one is the best price, especially if you get the scratch and dent model. I've been told this is the best one.

http://www.havenerent.com/

3. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Well I'm not sure I can help, but I had a set of jungle jim's two wheeled version on my Snapper hydro. I wouldn't have had it any of way.

Good luck.

4. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

The stand on does take a little getting used to, but if you really dislike it that much i have heard good things about the jungle wheels. Or just do like i did and build one with all of the features you want. Built mine for under twenty dollars. Just a thought.

5. Green Pastures

Not to offend...

Have you backed up with the Stand On from Exmark?

FWIW I have hundreds of hours of experience on one wheel sulkies and I have yet to find one I can back up and do true zero turns on.

Please read my original post again.

I never said I disliked Exmarks Stand On sulky I said....."You cannot easily go into reverse OR zero turn with the "Stand On" sulky Exmark sells without risking hurting yourself. While the Stand On is a very nice product for belt drive walk behinds it's not the right equipment for a high volume hydro drive Turf Tracer."

6. Green Pastures

7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I used to let everyone do my thinking, until I tried things for myself. My rational was, they have more experience etc...
    I don't believe half of what I hear on this board anymore.
    Listen, you can use just about anything unless you plan on acrobatics. I was told I couldn't use Jungle Wheels, well, I have 2 hydros and 2 sets of JW on them. They work fine for backing up as long as you pay attention. Even better, my buddy Richard swears by the single wheel that will swivel 360 you just have to remember to step off. I've seen him using it on his big eXmark and you can't beat it. Tony

8. brownsallseasonlandscape

brownsallseasonlandscape LawnSite Member

I run the velkes on my tthp's and we love them the one wheels are nice for backing and around flower beds with tight inside corners. The Two-wheel units are nicer for striping, but velke is the only one we have found to hold up.

9. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes i did read your original post and i have no problem backing up an exmark stand on. But as i said it takes some practice. I can also back up with a one wheel velke as well. The only two wheel sulky i have ever run is the one i built and at times it is easier to back up, sometimes not. You will also find the two wheel ones can get hung up on things when turning. I too have hundreds of hours on walkbehinds, specifically turf tracers with the stand on. I think i know what i am bringing to the table.

10. Green Pastures

Nevermind, forget I ever asked.

I have to agree with Tharrell.

When I came here in 2002 you could get some help and constructive, positive, friendly advice, seems now everyone is in some sort of competition to make somebody else look or feel bad and prove something to somebody else.

BAH!

Perhaps i was not clear enough as to what I was looking for in my OP.

If you guy's trust your $7000 mowers with one wheeled sulkies to your crews you have more attentive guys than I can find.

If I put a guy on a Turf Tracer with a 23 hp motor and a single wheel velke I'd be paying for a broken ankle and a serious hospital bill within a week. I'm absolutely sure of it.

Thanks for the responses to everyone. I know what I need to do.