Sulkies on belt drive w/b's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Feb 11, 2006.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

How many who have a belt drive w/b use some type of sulky? I am thinking of getting one for a 48" Toro. I have one on my hydro but I heard it was a bad idea for a belt drive.....

2. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

i was talking to my dealer on the phone today about getting one on my viking (it's a belt) he said it was fine

3. WH Lawn Care

WH Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I will be very interested in hearing the response because I was wondering the same thing myself.

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

It'll work great aslong as your not 350lbs trying to go up a steep hill, or using it in the rain.

5. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

Iv had no problems in 4 years trust me guys ant gentle

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I couldnt imagine trying to use a belt drive without a sulky. You get much more manueverability out of the machine after you become accustomed to the sulky.

As for it hurting the belt drive, I dont see how it could. Belts will slip before any damage comes to the transmission anyway, just be sure to replace the belts when the become glazed or when the begin to slip. You'll be glad you did.

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Many LCO's up my way do it with their belt drive machines and they haven't had many if any problems. I don't like velkes so I don't use them. I would rather get the exercise + I always feel like I am going to fall off and land on my a$$.......lol

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Wait a second... Do you mean a velke or a sulky? The difference I refer to is one is the stand-on, the other one is the sit-down. Neither one will cause problems on a belt-drive, but if you use the sit-down kind I wish you the best of luck because if your front casters ever hit something causing them to rise (such as an embankment), this will push the fixed bar down and if your knee(s) are in the way, the steel bar of the Wb will crush your bone as the other end (your foot) is resting on the steel platform of the sulky. I would far recommend a stand-on velke, although misconceptions abound left and right, the velke is the stand-on, the sulky is the sit-down version, technically.

9. WH Lawn Care

WH Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Some great feedback here, thanks guys!

10. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

I have a metro 48 and it doesn't cause any problems whatsoever. SOmetimes you have to walk it up a hill or pull up hard on the handles to keep the traction. other then that its fenominal.