1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sulky Choice?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pastaboy62, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Pastaboy62

Pastaboy62 LawnSite Senior Member

I want to get a sulky. I have a 15 hp Kawasaki on a 36" scag belt. I maintain about 30 lawns. The most of the lawns are small. I weigh 150, what would be a good sulky for me? any tips for how to operate one? thanks
  2. Skimastr105

Skimastr105 LawnSite Senior Member

I really like the Proslide because the ride is very smooth and it retracts automatically when you don't need it. That would be nice if you have a lot of small lawns. The major advantage is the ride though. Even the bumpiest lawns feel smooth.

Watch the videos on the website. It really works as easily as it looks.
  3. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

ive got a two wheel sulky on my toro... maybe a velke single wheel would work for you. since its such a small mower and your only 150 pounds, i think either a two wheel sulkey(jungle Wheels) or a single wheel velke would do just fine. my mower has a 17 hp kawi. i dont think 2 hp is gunna matter. i weigh about 115, but im 14. so i would try some out on other mowers cause i know the velke may be a little too small to be standing on that thing for hours at a time everyday! thats why i got the sulkey. they are pretty easy to install. you just have to make sure you get the right one for your exact mower. go talk to the dealer. they have them. hope i could help!!
  4. TSG

TSG LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think the mower weighs enough,
    My buddy returned his,,,,he was running it on a 36.
    My 35 bobcat 15 hp wouldn't get it done either
  5. Skimastr105

Skimastr105 LawnSite Senior Member

Single wheel sulkys typically leave weird stripes. I don't like the look of a wavy line going down the middle of your stripe.
  6. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 36 snapper pro hydro, with a kawi 14 and it pulls me on my sulky just fine. i also added weights so the front end wouldnt be so jumpy. i am building my own, and the first prototype finally totally handgrenaded after three weeks so it is back to the drawing board. going to build a two wheel one this time, and its going to be improvements on the last ones weakness's.
  7. WhitakerServices

WhitakerServices LawnSite Member

I agree totally i am about to replace my single wheel with a 2 wheel for just that reason.

I have a scag 36 belt drive walk behind and have had both single and double wheel sulkeys on it and had no problem with it pulling me at 165#. I like the jungle wheels the best, the single wheel sulkey will likely be cheaper but over time you probably will not like the look, the single wheel makes you leave 3 tire tracks instead of two.
  8. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

actually jungle wheels are cheaper than a single wheel velkey as far as i know.

9. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

I'm 205 or so, and love my Jungle Wheels. Pulls me fine as long as it's not real steep (like 45 deg) uphill.
  10. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I have Jungle Wheels on my 48 and my 32. Both pull my 225 lb butt around all day.
    However, my 32" has pistol grips. I think something with casters would work better so when you turn hard, you wouldn't have to bend your body to make room for the pistol grips.