1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

sulky for a smaller walkbehind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ken, Jun 26, 2000.

1. Ken

Ken Guest

I have a GiantVac commercial walkbehind 32 inch cut 9 hp BS engine. I would like to add a sulky to increase my mowing speed. Alamia has a JungleWheel for $229.00. and another one for $145.00. Both are stand on sulkys. The JungleWheel has two wheels on an axle and a plate to stand on. The other one has one wheel in the middle and a foot plate on each side of the wheel to stand on. Can anyone comment on the comfort level with these? My dealer said he could add a stand on sulky for $400.00. He would not add a sit down sulky unless I had a 48 inch cut machine or larger. My lawn is very flat 1.25 acres and I mow it twice a week.<br>

2. I have used my old diamond plate 1994 model turf rider sulkys (2 wheel fixed not piviting)on Toros (gear drive) with 12.5 and 11hp engines<br>with 44-48&quot; decks with no problem.<p>You need to keep your engine to trans belt tight so some adjustment will be needed throught the mowing season.<p>You should weld a piece of angle iron over<br>the existing metal where the sulky attachment plate mounts. Some machines are<br>thin back there and need a little reinforcement. <p>

3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Ken, If I remember correctly those Giant Vacs are pretty well built (heavy) so I think you'll be okay as long as you get something small. I'd go with the velke on a small machine like that.(the one you described as the one wheel in the middle deal) The only thing I'd worry about is the front end picking up when you hit a bump or take off, etc. I know its probobly a tough chance, but if your dealer stocks them, or you know where there is one already assembled, see if he would let you &quot;C-Clamp&quot; it to your machine temporarily just you can make sure it won't lift up the deck. I know the machine is strong enough though. Hope it helps, and don't let him talk you into some big $$$ sulky for such a small machine!!!<p><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti