Sulky for Hydro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JBlawncare, Mar 7, 2007.

1. JBlawncare

JBlawncare LawnSite Member

Hi I have a Ferris 48" Hydro WB and I am looking at sulky's. I am wondering if I should go with the two wheel (Jungle Wheels) or a swivel wheel sulky? if anyone has either of these let me know the pros and cons of them and what u think i should get.
  2. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

2 wheels are more comfortable.
  3. JBlawncare

Does anyone have a hydro with Jungle Wheels on it... how hard is it to turn and back up?
  4. Honerlaw-LawnCare

Honerlaw-LawnCare LawnSite Member

I have a Exmark 48 hyrdro with a jungle jim's two wheel sulky on it and you definately can jack knife the sulky if you try backing up real fast. The two wheel sulkys just leave a better stripe and are more comfortable. All it takes is a little bit of practice and you'll get the hang of backing up.
  5. happy

happy LawnSite Member

I have both kinds and will be selling both. Do not have a use for them anymore. I have good prices on them as well. I am in Dayton, ohio. Call me at (937)456-2826 and I can get you some info and pics, prices etc.
  6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

A BullRider can be configured two ways, either in caster mode, or in trailer mode. It is a two-wheeled sulky with a platform in the middle.

In caster mode, the frame is fixed to the mower frame in the horizontal plane, free to move in the vertical plane. The wheels move in the same way as the casters on the front of your w/b mower, rotate about a spindle. In trailer mode, the casters are restrained from rotating on their own spindle axis. The two bar has a hinge in the middle so it rotates as in a trailer hitch. I believe this is how the Jungle Jim works.

The huge advantage with the caster mode is you can never jackknife the sulky. The operator platform remains in the same position when turning, only the caster wheels rotate on their own axis. However, it does make the combination of mower and sulky longer on turns, and this could be a problem. One should be able to make a true Z-turn with the sulky in caster mode.

In trailer mode, one cannot make a true Z-turn, but rather is limited by a stop on the hinge point as to how far the platform portion may rotate with respect to the tow bar. However, after some practice, one can make good three point turns in trailer mode.

I have an Exmark Viking, 36" wide, hydro drive. My w/b is too small to use the BR in caster mode. The sulky influences the control of the mower far too much. And, there is no leverage of the operator with respect to the ground. The w/b handles the BR fine in trailer mode.

If more interest, send me a PM with an e-mail address and I will send you some images of my setup. I am unable to post images on LS, but can send images via e-mail.
  7. LandscaperPro

LandscaperPro Sponsor

8. JBlawncare

9. Wright Mfg

Wright Mfg Guest

JB - Get the Velke brand- It does not jackknife on itself like JW and it does not have the whipping effect that a caster sulky has.
  10. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member