Sulky for Plugr 850 Hydro . . . worth it or NOT. .?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Exact Rototilling, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Ok . . . I have the Plugr 850HD on order with the Honda GX 200 6.5 hp engine new for 2008 last year was 5.5 Honda. Is the Step saver a waste? Dealer is willing to cut me a deal at $250 vs. the normal $295 but no returns if I don't like it?

I've heard several people here say it's not worth it since the unit is front wheel drive. Then again I have a step saver for my Quick 36 and I was wondering if I could get the local college metal shop students to rig up some brackets so I could use that unit instead.

To complicate matters more I'm thinking about getting getting the Lawn Solutions hydro drive units with a sulky so there is no point in duplicating sulkies when I can use the same for all of them.

I'm a 100% solo operation in case you're wondering.

Any input?

:waving:

http://www.sourceonex.com/plugr/html/pl850.html

2. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Anyone with minimal welding skills could adapt your Plugr/sulky so you can use it. Myself, I wouldn't even get the 850 HD if I wasn't going to get a sulky. I've used one with a sulky, it was very nice, easy to use. If you are going up a hill, just gently lift on the handle to put more weight on the front of the machine.

3. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry, me again.... For $250, you could get a decent used welder, the materials to build a stepsaver are cheap, except the wheels. I've built a couple, I like mine better than any I've found on the market. They cost me about $80 to build, but they have really nice heavy duty wheels with roller bearings.

4. Exact Rototilling

I've been in full scambe mode trying to get ready for the spring season so I'm just going to buy the Step saver and be done with it already. I really need to focus on final prep and marketing these last few weeks. Besides I'm a horrible welder. I barely passed my welding segment when I was in metal shop in high school and I was sweating bullets when I was the last one to complete the welding portion of my A & P course in trade school. I'll leave welding to the pros. :hammerhead:

If it had the weaker Honda engine from last year I'd think I'd pass but since it's the GX 200 6.5 hp Honda I will go for it.

5. mostevenings

mostevenings LawnSite Member

When you add the sulkey you'll have to adjust the cable's eye bolt by bending it toward the operator. Just thread the eye bolt all the way out and then bent it at that position; however, mark it and take it out of the plastic plate before bending. I've found when you engage the tines in the "UP" position, the tines hits the back o the bracket that hitches to the sulkey. If you call the manufacture, they will send you some type of spring to install between the eye bolt and cable.

6. Exact Rototilling

Plugr has now made the R & D department aware of this issue. They sent me a spring however the sulky has been next to useless on the properties I have aerated thus far. I took off the bracket completely. I have a bit of buyers remorse on the sulky.

If I land some large properties to aerate that are flat and reasonably free of rocky soil I will put it back on and give it another go.

Thus far I've made most of my $ this year with this machine. :walking:

7. Scarlawnturf

Scarlawnturf LawnSite Member

I was one that did not like my step saver because of the front wheel drive. When it arrived, I put it together and tried it out on my front yard that is very flat. Maybe I didn't give it a fair shot or my machines belts weren't adjusted quite right, but I didn't feel like it pulled the way it should for a $300 option. To me having to pull up on the handle to make it have more traction is not the answer. Also, the mounting bracket interfered with the tines in the raised position. I sent it back and my money was promptly refunded. Once again, having said all of this, I still love this machine. I don't mind walking behind it at all. If they could make the rear wheels drive and the front wheels swivel, then they would be on to something that would pull a sulky.

8. Exact Rototilling

Scarlawnturf,

Did you take it back to the dealer or ship it back to SourceOne? My out of state dealer didn't want to guarantee my satisfaction with the sulky since they pulled the price down to $250 from the retail of $295 :rolleyes:

9. Scarlawnturf

Scarlawnturf LawnSite Member

Exact Rototilling,
    I sent it back through the local dealer I bought it from. I asked him if it would be a problem and I think I remember him saying that he spoke with Source One and no problem. I had paid $295 for it. Dealer credited the money right back to my card on the spot. I didn't pay for shipping either way. With the size and type lawns I've ended up aerating, I really didn't need it. It's so easy to walk behind.

10. Exact Rototilling

Scarlawnturf,

What are you using for cam grease? Plugr recommends ALMAGARD 3752 but is super spendy. Cheap grease makes a big mess and flies off too easily IMO.

Slight thread Hi-Jack:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=226018
    re: Grease for Plugr aerator cams . . .?

:waving: