sulky is it worth it

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smarino21, Nov 9, 2006.

1. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

I Cut 1/4 Acre Properties And I Dont Personally Operate The Machine I Was Wondering Is A Sulky Really Worth It Or No ? Does It Affect The Cut?
  2. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

On quarter acre properties, propbably not, unless your WB is a hydro unit and you get a fixed sulkie so that backing up is made easier.

I have a Belt Drive WB that I use in back yards and some smaller properties. On the properties that I use the machine on front and back yards, they are so small that the sulkie causes me more problems because I cannot back up, but I do not have a Hydro and fixed sulkie either. I wish I did.
  3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

You will have the added 1 or 2 wheel marks depending upon what version you use. I have a velke pro 1 (the 1 wheeled version) and only really use it when it gets hot out. Other than that, I walk with the mower. JMO
  4. yz250fpilot

yz250fpilot LawnSite Member

Mine NEVER comes off my Toro hydro. I couldn't imagine not having one now. If I had a belt drive, it might be a different story.
  5. GotGreen

GotGreen LawnSite Member
    from STL

I have two sulkies, a Jungle Wheels on my 36" belt and a Mower Sulky for Hydros on my 54" hydro, I am thinking about selling my Jungle Wheels as I only use the 36" on smaller yards and fenced back yards where using a sulky is (sometimes) inconvenient. The 54" stays put all the time but have to admit there is occasions that you still have to step down to make turns on tight areas or the mower wheels will start spinning and damage the grass, very few occasions, other than that great combination a big deck hydro WB with a sulky.
  6. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

I could'nt imagine not having a sulke, have'nt had one damage grass. I'd put one on a self propelled 22:laugh: if i could:laugh:
  7. dmanb2b

dmanb2b LawnSite Member

anyone have a pic of a sulky? What is it? Thanks
  8. A.D Services

A.D Services LawnSite Member

my freind made a homemade one on a 21'' mower was kinda cool but it only lasted about 2 weeks then he was pushing it
  9. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

. .

10. Wayne Landscaping

Wayne Landscaping LawnSite Member

I personally don't like sulkies. My opinion is that if I was a homeowner, I wouldn't like to see my contractor surfing around and going seven or eight miles an houron my lawn. It looks as if they are tearing up the turf. I find that walking presents a good professional image and also keeps the crews from getting fat or lazy.
    It's so easy to sit on a ztr and have the trimmer operator complain that he has to walk. Whereas it's not a matter of what machine one will operate in a givin crew if they would have to walk no matter what machine they operated. Plus, I dislike the third wheeled stripe and even the look of a two wheeled sulky towards the end of a row when it spins of course of the mowers tires.