Sulky on 44 " Toro ??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NHLawns, Apr 10, 2002.

1. NHLawns

NHLawns LawnSite Member
    from NH

I need to put a sulky on my Toro 44" belt drive it has a Kawi 12.5 on top, I know the engine is a little small. I am leaning towards the Proslide. I really need some sort of sulky because I have 2 accounts that are over an acre and a half. Any body run a mower similiar to this with the sulky. Any input would be great.

Thanks

Jim

2. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

I dunno if you have enough power to run one on that mower, but you sure can try, take a look at Jungle Wheels, Velke, and Toro's TruTrak sulky.

Hank

3. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

One of my Toro 48's (12.5 Kawa) has a Velke (dual) on it. It does fine, but nobody seems to bother with it because they mainly use the mower in reasonably small places.

4. A.U.steve

A.U.steve LawnSite Member

l run a steerable sulky on my Toro 44'' but l think you may be a bit under powered the sulky weighs about 60 pounds plus your weight too.
    My smaller machine runs a 14 HP Kohler with a 37'' recycler plus the sulky, the recycler works harder than the 44'' superflo, l can work on hilly jobs with this so if your work is not too hilly and the grass is not too long you may get away with it.

5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I ran the proslide, plus almost every other velky, too. It needs a fair amount of power to pull. I weigh 155 and it slowed down my machine if there was any type of hill at all. I settled on the jungle wheels, since it has the advantage of the adjustable distance bar, to fine tune it to your size. Also, I think the jungle wheels have a slightly larger tire than the Scag or Wright, two wheel velky. Though the single wheel velky under certain conditions might maneuver better, the two wheeled velky is smoother and less likely to blow a tire, in real life.
    Pete

6. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

My 44 Toro had a 11 Briggs worked with a 2 wheel sit down sulky

from a garden tractor. In light grass 4th gear. Put some weight in the front 2x2x 10" in the deck frame. Plenty of power for a wheeled sulky. Ed

7. GilbertJT

GilbertJT LawnSite Member

NHLawns, I have a Scag with a 14hp Kaw. on it, 48" deck with the Peerless Tranny. I know this is a little bigger engine than you have but I pull a Jungle Wheel with it no problem. It pulls great. It is evenly balanced and rolls just fine. I weigh about 195lbs. Just my .02.:blob3:

8. CLM1103

CLM1103 LawnSite Member

I have a 36" Scag belt drive with Jungle Wlheels - 12.5 HP. Have no problem pulling my 180# even on hills.

9. NHLawns

NHLawns LawnSite Member
    from NH

I forget who makes the jungle wheels. Is it Trimmer trap? or another company. And does any one know the web site, and what should I expect to pay for them. I know the Proslide is around $350 which is a little more than I wanted to pay.

Thanks for your replys.

Jim

10. GilbertJT

GilbertJT LawnSite Member

NHLawns, You can get the Jungle Wheel from Jungle Jim Products Inc. www.junglejimsap.com their phone number is 1-888-844-5467. I called them and got a scratch and dent Jungle Wheel from them for $165.00. They retail at power equipment dealers around here for about $265.00. Give them a call and see if they have any, it is worth a shot. I love mine and it was a great deal.