Sulky on 48; Belt Drive ?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Lawns2nv, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Lawns2nv

Lawns2nv LawnSite Member

Hello,

How you guys doing, I have a 2001 Exmark 48" Metro belt drive. I'm thinking about putting a Sulky on it. I went to the dealer to find out about putting a sulky on a belt drive, the dealer said it was ok to do, is he blowing smoke up my tail or what ? I'm about a 190pds, I heard its a lotta strain on the mower and trans. Someone told me a trans wouldn't even last a summer? Some input or stories would be helpful, Thanks :}

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Lawns2nv,

Your dealer is correct. Although the Metro will pull a sulky a hydro will do so much better and in all conditions. If the lawn is damp and the drive belts get wet they will slip and no longer pull the mower and the added weight of the operator. You should also keep in mind that we do not recommend shifting the transmission on the fly without clutching the drive belts. This becomes much more important if youÂ’re pulling a riding attachment because you will wear the shift keys very rapidly if done incorrectly. Just be sure to squeeze the drive levers each time you shift the knee shifter and you should be in good shape.

Thanks

Terry

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have a sulky attachment to my belt drive mower. No problems. Several people I know run them and never had any problems either. A few are bigger than 190# also.

4. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

when you shift are u suppose to put the brakes on all the way or just squeeze them alittle bit?

5. YNE

YNE LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I have ran a jungle Jim sulky for 2 years behind a 48" with no problems. It has allowed me to increase production by approximately 30%.

6. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

I weigh about #190 and run belt drives with sulkys, and have a lot of hilly terrain. Wet days are a bit of a hassle, but I never damaged anything on the mower (not even a belt). I do come to a complete stop before shifting any gears. Usually I leave it in a higher gear, 3rd or 4th, and just "slack" the belts a bit in the areas I need to slow down.

7. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

I use a 36" metro with a one wheel Velke. I'm a 200 lb'r. No problems yet. Just know when to step off the velke and walk beside it.