Sulky on Toro WB

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by curry, Jul 1, 2001.

1. curry

curry LawnSite Member

OK. I used the search feature to answer most of my questions. I have decided to buy the Toro WB 32" with the floating deck because of needing to get into ALL back yards. My question is, I want to buy a sulky with it and have decided the stand up kind would be better than the sit down kind because I think the one that you sit on will leave tire prints worse. Will the 32" handle me standing and still have power to perform(I weigh 180). I only have one or two yards with hills and I could take sulky off when mowing these hills. Can someone help me out with this issue.

2. curry

curry LawnSite Member

I forgot to mention that the mower has a 12.5 hp I think

3. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

If its a belt drive I dont think its a stong enough set up to pull you
    around. I had a Snapper 52 Belt drive With Sulky I Whent through 2 Transmisions In 1 year the dealer told me they dont recommend Sulkys on belt drives.

4. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I was looking at the wb Toro 52" 17hp Kaw and our dealer said he would add the sulky and I am a big man too. But in your case I don't think the hp is enough. The belt isn't the problem, just not enough umph! Good luck! Also remember that it's just my opinion, maybe someone else has one and it's a OK.

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Thats the same mower i use for backyards, and it pulls me just fine on my velke. I weigh 185. Doesnt do real good if the grass is wet, the belts start to slip, and seems real slow after getting off the big mower for the front yard, but other than that it works great for me.

6. YLC1

YLC1 LawnSite Member

I've used a Toro 37"belt drive with a single wheel Velke for about
    9 years with very few problems.I'm about 170lbs and have
    not had a problem with the unit pulling me around.If I
    remember correctly a single wheel Velke is recommended up
    to 200lbs.Hope this helps.BTW this mower has a 12.5 Kawasaki

7. toddco

toddco LawnSite Member
    from Seattle

You said...
    [snip] ...the stand up kind would be better than the sit down
    kind because I think the one that you sit on will leave tire prints worse [snip]

Just my guess, but you probably weight the same whether you are standing or sitting. [grin]

8. Alanky

Alanky LawnSite Member

I have a 32 inch bobcat with a kawasaki FB460V (12.5 hp) belt drive that pulls me around fine. I weigh 175lbs and the 12 is strong enough to pull me around. The front wheels sometimes come off the ground going up steep hills though, other than that it's fine.

9. walkbehind48

walkbehind48 LawnSite Member

I am 6' tall, 210 lbs and I use a '94 Toro 48" wb with 14hp Kohler and a single wheel sulke the wb is a belt drive and it doesn't seem to struggle at all with me on back. Not sure how big a difference the 12.5 would make in pulling power.

JRO

10. 13yearoldcutter

13yearoldcutter Guest

Curry how much does it cost, that sounds exactly what I need/want.